Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suppressor

Default Re: Suppressor

Oh, one more thing- make sure you keep the piston lubed with a thin coat of white lithium grease so that it is able to slide freely in the booster. If the piston is dry, it might not be able to return to the starting position which can lead to piston misalignment and cause a baffle strike.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Cumberland County)

Same, good seeing you! The boys at the shop forced me to buy an Anaconda too - lol. My one from Spain finally arrived in the States yesterday so now I'll have an old one and a new one I think I finally figured this suppressor crap out thanks to guys here!

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Hey there, was nice to see you in the shop the other day. Sounds like your getting squared away with the booster thing. I*m gonna suggest checking out freedom armory below York. The tion brand of cans are pretty nice, not cheap. So far everybody I*ve sent there has left after a purchase. Check them out on the internet I think you*ll be interested. Safe travels.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Again, thank you! So I guess if I buy this piston for the 45 I should be good

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    OK, that explains the origin of what you have. Yep, you are good to go on pistols that have moving barrels using the 9mm (i.e. 1/2x28, probably) piston you have.

On the Beretta, the choice of mount is up to you. Some suppressors are light enough that the gun can still run without a booster (using either a spacer or a fixed mount). Others might need the booster to run reliably. Even though the barrel doesn't tilt, it does move back and forward in line, so some suppressor companies recommend the booster. Either way is fine on the 92 series.

For your 1911, the barrel does have to tilt to unlock, so you probably will need a booster. Note, you actually just need a piston that matches the threads of your 1911 barrel. The thread-pitch specific pistons are sold separately and you can reuse your spring and booster mount.

The 5/8x24" fixed barrel mount it came with is good for fixed barrel guns like the Kriss Vector in .45 or a .300 blackout.

Note: if you decide you want to run this on a truly fixed-barrel gun, like a 9mm carbine for example, you should use either a fixed barrel mount in 1/2x28" or a spacer to install in your booster housing so you can use your existing 1/2x28" piston. Guns with fixed barrels should never be used with suppressors with boosters with the spring installed, since it is more likely for the can to become misaligned during firing which could lead to a baffle strike.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Again, thank you! So I guess if I buy this piston for the 45 I should be good

That will do it.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Dumb question time. I'm new to suppressors. Picked up my first one a few months back. After talking to shop and others I thought I had it figured out, but now the more I read I'm not sure.
    I was told using my suppressor with say my Beretta or Stribog I was good to go as is. But if I wanted to use it on a pistol with tilting barrel like my Glock, I needed to use a spacer.
    The more I read, it seems to be the opposite? Maybe I heard wrong originally. If I use suppressor on a fixed barrel like my Beretta or Stribog then replace spring with spacer and if I use it with tilt barrel like Glock, leave as is.
    Sorry again if dumb, just want to be sure

What you call a dumb question, I call a timely one. Thank You.

I also just bought a can (Silencerco 46M Hybrid) and have similar questions as this is my first can. I have learned a boatload from this thread and it isn't even 3 pages.
    My can uses a Charlie ASR mount, or I can direct thread, or I can Piston.
    I should get it out of jail in December.

I had no idea I should grease the piston.
    I want to try shooting it "wet" as well.

I plan on using it on both rifles and pistols and yes i know it's rather big for pistols, that why I got the hybrid so I can shorten it.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid-46m/
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12