Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Call CLEO first?

I would like to buy my first NFA item and wanted to know if I should call my CLEO first before I buy to see if he will sign off on it. Also if my local CLEO won't sign, is acceptable to keep going down the list for signatures? For example, if my police chief won't sign can I then goto the sheriff? And if not him then the DA?
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Berks County)

Default Re: Call CLEO first?

People will differ on whether to call your CLEO first. Some believe first impressions are crucial and thus it may be best to go in person right off the bat. Of course, if you are dressed like a redneck, you may want to go the phone call route. As for your 2nd question, there is nothing wrong finding a CLEO that will sign off.

(Montgomery County)

I sent my cleo an email asking if he would sign. I explained in the email that all he was doing by signing was confirming that he had no knowledge of any reason that i should be prohibited from owning an nfa item.

He replied back with sure, i'll sign. He told me to drop off the forms at the front desk and he'd sign them and call when they were done (only took him a few days). He even let one of his officers do my prints for me for free--it is usually a couple bucks fee. Since then, i have formed an LLC so i don't need to get his signature or do the print thing.

As for going down the list if he refuses to sign--i'm pretty sure the atf has a "list" of okay signatures if he refuses.

Last---what ya getting?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I sent my cleo an email asking if he would sign. I explained in the email that all he was doing by signing was confirming that he had no knowledge of any reason that i should be prohibited from owning an nfa item.

He replied back with sure, i'll sign. He told me to drop off the forms at the front desk and he'd sign them and call when they were done (only took him a few days). He even let one of his officers do my prints for me for free--it is usually a couple bucks fee. Since then, i have formed an LLC so i don't need to get his signature or do the print thing.

As for going down the list if he refuses to sign--i'm pretty sure the atf has a "list" of okay signatures if he refuses.

Last---what ya getting?
    I am looking into getting a supressor for a .308. I have no experience with this so I am still trying to do some research on a dealer, what manufacturer, QD or thread on.....all that good stuff. Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Sorry, I don’t have any first hand experience with .308. However, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the name brand cans—gemtech, swr, aac, etc.

As for dealers, I have dealt with David Spiwak (Bloomsburg) and Dave Donley (sp) in Quakertown. Both have great service.

Having a qd vs thread on will depend a lot on whether or not you plan to move the can from gun to gun. If you do, you’ll want a qd mount. If you only plan on using it on one gun a thread on will work great and be less expensive. Keep in mind, you can use a .308 can on .223 and other smaller bore rifles. While it is not ideal, it still reduces the noise.

The other thing to take into account is weight. If it is on a bolt gun only shot off the bench, weight doesn’t matter so much. However, if you are going to put it on say a ptr-91 having the extra weight hanging from the end of the barrel will take a little getting used to. In that case lighter is better.

Good luck.

(Berks County)

The SWR Omega Suppressor is PHENOMENAL. On my TRG-22 with the ERB "Thumper" rounds, it sounds like a pellet gun. I have never heard a suppressor get a gun so quiet. Also, Henry Smith of Smith Specialty Arms is a great guy to deal with. He is in Slatington.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    The SWR Omega Suppressor is PHENOMENAL. On my TRG-22 with the ERB "Thumper" rounds, it sounds like a pellet gun. I have never heard a suppressor get a gun so quiet. Also, Henry Smith of Smith Specialty Arms is a great guy to deal with. He is in Slatington.
    Where in Slatington? I goto precision armaments up there every once in a while to get ammo. Is it anywhere near there? Do you have any contact info?

Can all FFLs sell this stuff or is only certain dealers with a different license?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by spabula View Post
    Can all FFLs sell this stuff or is only certain dealers with a different license?
    No, only dealers with a "class 3 license" can deal / sell suppressors.

(Chester County)

however all FFL's 1's can apply for class 3 license and be approved.

(Berks County)

Not true, only FFL's that pay the Special Occupation Tax (SOT) can *tax free* buy and sell Title II guns. (There is no such thing as a Class 3 License) However, an FFL non-SOT can still buy and sell Title II firearms, he/she just must pay the tax to transfer to him/her and then again to the individual buyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast