Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default IWB vs. OWB Carry

I have carried IWB for many years. Recently I started OWB carry, mostly for comfort reasons. My primary IWB gun was a BHP, while full size very thin. The gun I started OWB carry was a CZ P-01. This is compact gun, while a little thicker than a BHP not as thick as a Sig 229. I got a High Noon topless holster. I still want to carry concealed, and have a t-shirt w/ a untucked shirt or sweatshirt over the gun.

My observations are that carrying OWB is MUCH more comfortable. One downside is that the gun prints a little more. W/ my setup the primary reason is that the gun is not pulled as tight to the body (carrying in a 3:30 - 4:00 position) resulting in the pistol but sticking out a bit. Not the end of the world, but tighter would be nicer.

(Butler County)

Default Re: IWB vs. OWB Carry

Totally agree, OWB is much more comfortable but not as naturally easy for CC. I find using a quality stiffer gun belt helps with the slide tipping outwards. When I OWB I use a Kore Essentials 1.5" Tactical belt. It looks like a nylon belt but comes w a nice buckle so it's not too tacti-cool looking. Added bonus is it's click adjustable so you can dial in exactly how tight you need.

(Berks County)

Being as I'm a tad portly, I haven't tried IWB and just carry OWB. I bought a belt off the old scooter at Morgantown Gun Show a few years ago and it's the only belt I wear unless I'm getting gussied up. It is pretty heavy duty, has no stitching and I would definitely buy another. But this one looks like it'll outlast me.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

I used to worry about printing, until I ran into a guy at our local Walmart that was obviously(to me anyway) carrying an LCP in a OWB black leather case that looked like it could hold a PDA. I engaged him in conversation and asked if he was indeed carrying, he answered "Yes." He then told me that he had carried that way for several years and I was the first person to ever ask if he was carrying. After that I stopped worrying about printing while varrying because I realized how oblivious most people are about their surroundings. YMMV

(Dauphin County)

If you like the High Noon Holster, you might try the Sky-High model. Along with a good gun belt, it will hold pretty tight to your side, and the high ride prevents the bottom of the holster from peeking out below your cover garment, if that's a concern. There will be very little, if any, printing with the garments you describe.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Monroe County)

The more my spine disintegrates the more my carry evolves. Started with a Colt revolver IWB, then later a 1911 IWB evolved to OWB, back got worse so went to a G19 IWB then pocket carry using a IWB holster, now either a G43 or S&W ultra lite revolver pocket carry using a IWB holster with the spring clip showing.
    Pants are not on, lays better when wearing.

2.jpg

(Lycoming County)

I've gone back and forth over the years. I prefer owb, but I've come to not mind carrying iwb with smaller guns and for convenience. Currently I usually edc a 43x in a kydex iwb holster. If I go bigger than that, it's usually owb for comfort.

Its funny this thread came up. Recently there was an email i got addressing this from a physical therapy standpoint. Long story short, OWB at 3 oclock is the best option to carry due to body mechanics. I’ll see if i can find the article and post it.

Personally i prefer strong side 3 oclock OWB. Its more comfortable and easiest to draw from. The only way i feel comfortable with IWB is at the 4-5 position using a small pistol (g26 size or smaller). Downside to this is if im sitting, it puts pressure on the sciatic nerve. Its uncomfortable at 1-3 position because it sits on the hip bone or digs into my fat roll and leg when i sit.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Its funny this thread came up. Recently there was an email i got addressing this from a physical therapy standpoint. Long story short, OWB at 3 oclock is the best option to carry due to body mechanics. I*ll see if i can find the article and post it.
    That's what works best for me and the holster loops straddle my belt loop so I can slide it front or back a little to get it out of the way when I'm seated in my car or Lay-Z-Boy.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    That's what works best for me and the holster loops straddle my belt loop so I can slide it front or back a little to get it out of the way when I'm seated in my car or Lay-Z-Boy.
    Next best thing is inside jacket pocket carry, but that has some serious drawbacks if you carry a full size pistol. Usually only reserved for when i get out of the jeep and dont have my belt holster on. If its the compact/smaller pistol, it goes in the outer jacket pocket and is reserved for quick runs outside for mail, etc. when i dont want to put the belt and holster on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast