Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Washed 38 ammo in laundry, opinions???

I read this thread with interest when it popped up because I have some 9mm ammo (20-25 rounds) that I left in my car trunk after a range trip and forgot about. Car has a water leak in the trunk, found the ammo a few weeks later, it was soaked. Kept saying I should shoot that stuff first and kept forgetting. Flash forward two years, I go to shoot it this morning. Most of it lit off, but the gun short-stroked every time. The empty couldn't even clear the slide. A few rounds would not fire at all, no matter how many times I stuffed them back in there.

Just figured I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    put the ammo in the oven at 450F for 2 hours. Good to go.
    I was thinking something similar. Since it went through the washer, why not finish with the dryer? Seems the only logical solution to balance things out.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    I read this thread with interest when it popped up because I have some 9mm ammo (20-25 rounds) that I left in my car trunk after a range trip and forgot about. Car has a water leak in the trunk, found the ammo a few weeks later, it was soaked. Kept saying I should shoot that stuff first and kept forgetting. Flash forward two years, I go to shoot it this morning. Most of it lit off, but the gun short-stroked every time. The empty couldn't even clear the slide. A few rounds would not fire at all, no matter how many times I stuffed them back in there.

Just figured I'd share.
    it needs to go through the spin cycle first!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I was thinking something similar. Since it went through the washer, why not finish with the dryer? Seems the only logical solution to balance things out.
    After years my drier started overheating and blowing the temp fuse. I took it apart and duct work under the lint separator was full and clogged with filth, dirt and other other small things. Everything from small rocks to earrings to an unfired 22 cartridge. How it got thru the little holes in the drum is anyone's guess but it was heavily oxidized and probably in there for at least a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    it needs to go through the spin cycle first!!
    LOL.

In all seriousness, I bet it probably would've went bang properly if I hadn't farted around for 2 years waiting to shoot it. My dumbass just kept forgetting to take it out to the range.

Just a cautionary tale for those who like to get it wet.

(Bucks County)

I read this thread (and burst out laughing at some of the replies) only to walk past my washing machine the next day and see a 22LR sitting on it. I asked my wife if it came out of the washer and she said yes. Its separated from its brethren and will get a special trip to the range to either the misfire container or give it a shot.
    Last edited by MarkS20; April 23rd, 2023 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123