Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Discover Card to Begin Tracking Gun/Ammo Purchases in April

Beginning in April 2023, Discover will become the first credit card issuer to track gun purchases made by their cardholders.

On September 11, 2022, Breitbart News noted that Visa caved to pressure from gun control groups and New York Democrats, agreeing to flag gun and ammo purchases via a new sales categorization. The Associated Press observed that Mastercard and other major credit cards also agreed to flag gun sales.

On March 2, 2023, the Independent Journal Review (IJR) reported that Discover will be first among credit card companies to track gun sales, inasmuch as the company will begin doing so in April.

IJR explained, “Anyone using a Discover card to make a purchase in a gun store will have that purchase tracked, beginning in April.”

There are over 55 million Discover cards in usage, so a lot of information on gun purchases can be gathered via that one company.

Reuters pointed out Discover Financial Services was ahead of Visa and Mastercard in February 2023, noting that Discover would “allow its network to track purchases at gun retailers come April, making it the first among its peers to publicly give a date for moving ahead with the initiative, which is aimed at helping authorities probe gun-related crimes.”

Discover told Reuters, “We remain focused on continuing to protect and support lawful purchases on our network while protecting the privacy of cardholders.”

The code for tracking gun purchases was approved by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in September 2022, and an ISO representative indicated, “The decision to use the new merchant category code is eventually left up to the users in the industry.”
    https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendm...gun-purchases/
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Discover Card to Begin Tracking Gun/Ammo Purchases in April

I already banned Discover from my household because they wanted me to send a copy of my ID to get their credit card. Fuck Discover.

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah,fuck em!
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Delaware County)

^^^^^THIS^^^
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

I didn't know discover was still a thing. I haven't seen a discover card in ages.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I already banned Discover from my household because they wanted me to send a copy of my ID to get their credit card. Fuck Discover.
    What are you going to do when they all try that shit? My tin foil hat prediction: storage is cheap and plentiful, internet access is fast and widespread, everything is going to be linked to everything else for your security and protection of course. I keep warning you all, getting away from cash is going to eventually come around and bite you in the ass big time.

Tim

(Philadelphia County)

My Discover Card is my oldest and primary card. Received it in 1986. Make most of my credit card purchases on it and utilize the cash back. I don*t think I ever bought a firearm on a credit card because of the extra charges. I want to save money. Same with ammo. Always cash and carry. I guess it may affect those who buy off of the internet a lot, but I*ll be holding on to my Discover Card and doing business as usual. If anything I may be selling a couple guns off, rather than buying more.

What is going to be the alternative? And is Discover going to pass this info on to some agency or will they simply know a persons ammo/gun buying habits?

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the heads up. Since Discover is my maib CC, I'll be looking into this deeper. I'd drop them in a heartbeat if it came to that.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    My Discover Card is my oldest and primary card. Received it in 1986. Make most of my credit card purchases on it and utilize the cash back. I don*t think I ever bought a firearm on a credit card because of the extra charges. I want to save money. Same with ammo. Always cash and carry. I guess it may affect those who buy off of the internet a lot, but I*ll be holding on to my Discover Card and doing business as usual. If anything I may be selling a couple guns off, rather than buying more.

What is going to be the alternative? And is Discover going to pass this info on to some agency or will they simply know a persons ammo/gun buying habits?
    What extra charges?
    I've bought literally tons of ammo and guns on my Discover and never been charged anything extra, and I actually get cash back.
    I've had a Discover card for many years. I almost dump d it over Kyle Rittenhouse when it was spread around that they wouldn't allow payments to his defense, that turned out to be a non thing, they never refused to honor my request to pay.
    I won't drop them over the guns and ammo thing because they are just the first, the other cards will follow.
    While I keep the card, and continue using it, I pay it off every month so they don't make any more money directly off me, and I'll use other cards for gun/ammo purchases, until they all start doing it.
    The Hostler

(Bradford County)

I have one too and I'm thinking I may switch over to using it for bulk ammo purchases just a a big F U to whoever is watching. Because it's not illegal regardless of quantity. So F U.
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast