Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 302 commitment

(Lackawanna County)

Default 302 commitment

8 years ago I was 302 over a stupid comment at the time , long story short I got my medical records and on my records it says “ initaly was a 302 but agreed to a 201” so basically meaning initaly an involuntary but agreed to a voluntary commitment , is anyone familiar with the process involving comiting someone , does that mean a 302 was reported or was it a 201 ? Only asking to figure out if the health system reported a 302 to the state police or not , thanks for any advice , it was 8 years ago and don’t remember all the details

Default Re: 302 commitment

You need to get the records from the hospital, chances are they'll say they no longer have them. It will likely take hiring a lawyer to get any records. You need to find out if this form was filled - https://www.pacourts.us/Storage/medi...ent-000152.pdf

If that form exists and involuntary commitment is checked off you're prohibited and will need to contact an attorney to resolve. Read more about a decision that will work in your favor - https://blog.princelaw.com/2019/08/0...ms-disability/

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the info , I did get all my medical records from them and they don’t have a paper like that , so either I didn’t get that or they never filed it , will contact them again tho and see , and I have contacted a lawyer , just waiting to have the spare 4 grand to pay the retainer fee

You can also check with the relevant county health department, they get a copy of 302's. And if you're polite, sometimes the PSP will tell you, if you can prove that you are who you say you are. They don't have to tell you, and it's covered by HIPAA privacy regs, but they're mostly decent folks there and sometimes they'll meet you halfway.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Psychiatric hospitals can, and do allow people to be voluntarily admitted, even if the 302 paperwork was completed. Because of that, county/Commonwealth records will have it listed as an involuntary hospitalization.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You can also check with the relevant county health department, they get a copy of 302's. And if you're polite, sometimes the PSP will tell you, if you can prove that you are who you say you are. They don't have to tell you, and it's covered by HIPAA privacy regs, but they're mostly decent folks there and sometimes they'll meet you halfway.
    So you’re saying just call up the state police and be nice and they might look into wether thiers a 302 under my name ? I feel like they’ll think I’m crazy and hang up but it might be worth a try lol

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys518 View Post
    So you*re saying just call up the state police and be nice and they might look into whether there a 302 under my name ? I feel like they*ll think I*m crazy and hang up but it might be worth a try lol
    Hi there, I am scheduled for a second hearing next month. The state police attorney on my case had quit. Anyway. I had a 302 and changed it to a 201 the second day. I think if you try to buy a gun it will trigger something so don't do that. The number one thing you need to do and I wish somebody had told me but you have to pay out of pocket for an evaluation with the Minnesota assessment test "MMPI" but anyway it has to be a forensic psychologist that administers the test. The state police attorney told me it cost 200 and any psychologist could do it. He lied to me. I went crazy for weeks trying to find one to do it. Then somebody said to search for one that does restoration of gun rights and forensic came up. Well they aren't cheap and it's a heck of alot more than 200. I paid 650 to one in Pittsburgh. Her name is Beth Bliss. There was on in Lancaster charging 1200 so good luck. Its bs. I have a hearing next month and the psychologist said I am good to go but I have a retired judge from Center county so I don't know what will happen. I hope this helps. I got a cheaper lawyer locally that never did this before and I am doing all the research and work. I drove to Erie to take the MMPI test and paid 200 and went in to the doctor and he asked me what security position I was applying for. I said I'm not and explained why I was there and he gave my money back so make sure you tell them why you want to take the MMPI and have an evaluation. If you do this you will be on the road to restoration but it takes time.

(Lawrence County)

As a former designee, if you agreed to voluntary, we shredded the 302. It isn't a 302 until it is signed by a doctor and if you agreed to sign yourself in, there isn't a reason for the 302. Personally I don't feel a 302 should be a disqualification, only a 303 and higher should be.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Delaware County)

My only contribution to this conversation is to say that this system is in serious need of reform. It keeps people away from seeking treatment for fear of losing what is supposed to be an inalienable right. No doubt the anti-gunner forces are happy with the status quo so no "common sense gun de-control" coming soon.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    My only contribution to this conversation is to say that this system is in serious need of reform. It keeps people away from seeking treatment for fear of losing what is supposed to be an inalienable right. No doubt the anti-gunner forces are happy with the status quo so no "common sense gun de-control" coming soon.
    Agree 100%.