Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AR Pistol Carry

(Philadelphia County)

Question AR Pistol Carry

So recently just completed my AR backpack pistol build. It has 7.5" barrel, coming in at a total of 21.5". Which it's considered a pistol (firearm). When I purchased the stripped lower I already knew what I wanted to build so I asked the FFL to register as a pistol. Was told they only see it as a receiver so that's what it is going to be registered as. I know it's not very practical to carry something like this around but you know America. I do have my LTC out of Philly. I've heard people say that the state does keep records of who owns handguns l, then I hear they don't actually. I looked into the law and nothing says it has to be registered as a pistol.

With all that said, my question is it against the law to carry this loaded it my car or on my person in a backpack of course? Will the cops go off of the dimensions of the AR?

I have asked a different FFL these same questions but instead of answering they said they would just carry a pistol. I know it's dumb but just want to know if I'm able to do this from time to time.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: AR Pistol Carry

1. There is no "registration" in PA. There is a specific law forbidding it. (18 PA C.S. §6111.4)

2. *Some* firearms transactions require paperwork and a background check (like purchasing a receiver from an FFL). The ultimate result of your build does not require you to notify anyone or "register" anything (see above).

3. Since legally defined as a "pistol", and you possess a LTCF, the item you built can legally be carried in the same circumstances, and with the same limitations as any other handgun.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I don*t want to assume you know all about the recent brace ruling by the ATF. If you are not up to date with the recent ATF pistol brace rule and you have a brace on the pistol, make sure you become familiar with it ASOP. Basically if you have a brace on your ar pistol the ATF for now considers it a SBR and an NFA item.

You can read about it in this thread, but it might be easier to just google. https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=393903

Other than that gnbrotz answered your question.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you gnbrotz your reply was helpfull.

Ilikebuckets thank you. I am currently up to date on the braces.