Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
My old lady witnessed an unprovoked verbal confrontation with me and some hoodlums. She's starting to realize the importance of carrying heat. She has a LTCF, although she's never actually carried. She seems to be leaning towards revolvers, after she tried racking the slides on my 9mms and .380s (not enough wrist/grip strength). I'm not a revolver guy (I shot 2 shots out of a .357 Magnum revolver once, I thought it was nice but excessive recoil). She has shot one of my 9mms at the range, and she was able to 'handle' the recoil. What's comparable and potent in the revolver field? .38 Special?
I ccw a 38 Special +P. Small handguns can be tough on the hands. I have an S&W airweight which is painful to shoot. I use an S&W M&P 38. Even with stout self defense rounds the plastic grip really helps to smooth out the recoil.

The Ruger LCR has a really nice double action and single action trigger, and it probably handles recoil well. I know sixty something women who do well with it.

The 38 Special served police for decades, and with modern projectiles probably is close to the 9mm in terminal performance.

The biggest single determinant of good self defense shooting is brisk and accurate presentation and shot placement. You get that from practice, both dry and on the range. Go with what you know and make it yours.