Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: My Old Lady is Struggling to Rack A Slide

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    My old lady witnessed an unprovoked verbal confrontation with me and some hoodlums. She's starting to realize the importance of carrying heat. She has a LTCF, although she's never actually carried. She seems to be leaning towards revolvers, after she tried racking the slides on my 9mms and .380s (not enough wrist/grip strength). I'm not a revolver guy (I shot 2 shots out of a .357 Magnum revolver once, I thought it was nice but excessive recoil). She has shot one of my 9mms at the range, and she was able to 'handle' the recoil. What's comparable and potent in the revolver field? .38 Special?
    I ccw a 38 Special +P. Small handguns can be tough on the hands. I have an S&W airweight which is painful to shoot. I use an S&W M&P 38. Even with stout self defense rounds the plastic grip really helps to smooth out the recoil.

The Ruger LCR has a really nice double action and single action trigger, and it probably handles recoil well. I know sixty something women who do well with it.

The 38 Special served police for decades, and with modern projectiles probably is close to the 9mm in terminal performance.

The biggest single determinant of good self defense shooting is brisk and accurate presentation and shot placement. You get that from practice, both dry and on the range. Go with what you know and make it yours.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I don*t know if it*s been suggested yet. I*ve had contracts over the years teaching various groups the use of firearms.
    Racking the slide with compromised upper body strength might be overcome by the following:

-With the pistol grasped in firing hand ready for use. Bring the pistol across the chest to body center so that if you*re facing the target the pistol now faces 90 degrees from the target.

-Grasp the top front of the slide with the non- dominant hand and using your chest and shoulder muscles, press your hands together. I*ve had good results with this method. It brings a lot more force to bare in compressing the recoil spring. It works just as well in locking the slide to the rear for showing clear, clearing malfunctions, Etc.

This was the method that was shown in class. A forty something lady who had never touched a firearm could not cycle a 22 LR handgun.

The instructor handed her a Glock 20. He schooled her in this method. She easily racked the slide. A Glock 20 is a 10mm handgun used to defend against Polar Bear attack by the Sirius Patrol in Greenland.

We are not guaranteed youth and good health. Good habits will carry the day. I would commend to everyone using this method to rack the slide of any self loading handgun.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Nice little gun. Next step. .32 Bersa Thunder if you can find one. Not much more recoil, about the same force to rack. I had one, but sold it to a guy out of state. He paid more than I paid for it, plus shipping, plus FFL. But he had to have it for his wife who fired one and absolutely had to have it. Then I got three more offers all offering to outbid the guy to whom I promised it. They aren't made anymore.
    There is also the Keltec P32. It is a nice firearm for hiding. Recoil is manageable.

The Beretta Tomcat has been sold to people who cannot cycle an action. You tilt up the barrel to load it. Main drawback is the lack of an extractor. The Beretta manual suggests using a stick to remove the case. The Tomcat also has some upper limits on energy for a 32 acp round. 130 foot pounds maximum. There is some talk that you risk cracking the frame if you go above that limit.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456