Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default OC on State Game Land?

Hey! Going hiking on some state game land, I wanna know if OC is okay? I have LTCF.
    Rifle and/or pistol.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: OC on State Game Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Hastati322 View Post
    Hey! Going hiking on some state game land, I wanna know if OC is okay? I have LTCF.
    Rifle and/or pistol.
    Pistol is fine, but a rifle could get you in trouble as evidence (prima facie ??) of hunting. I am not sure of the actual law though.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Get a hunting license and wear an orange hat and when questioned say you are hunting groundhog. Make sure you stay within groundhog season with is most of the year with some exceptions..

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hastati322 View Post
    Rifle and/or pistol.
    I think you are on shakey ground with the rifle.

Title 34 Chapter 23

§ 2301. Prima facie evidence of hunting.

(a) General rule.--For the purpose of this title, any one of the following acts shall constitute prima facie evidence of hunting:

(1) Possession of any firearm, bow and arrow, raptor, trap or other device of any description usable for the purpose of hunting or taking game or wildlife.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=1&subsctn=0

Title 34 (Bold mine)

§ 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.

(a) General rule.--It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.

(b) Construction.--

(1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of a firearm or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.

(2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6102 (relating to definitions).

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...n=25&subsctn=0

§ 6102. Definitions.

Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...1.002.000..HTM

(Bucks County)

A rifle / shotgun is not a firearm so having a LTCF does not get you any special privileges. I you are on state game lands and a game warden sees you with a rifle, out of season and without a hunting license, expect to do some explaining. it will probably be when you see the Judge.

If I was on a state game land I would carry my pistol concealed to avoid any hassle.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    A rifle / shotgun is not a firearm so having a LTCF does not get you any special privileges. I you are on state game lands and a game warden sees you with a rifle, out of season and without a hunting license, expect to do some explaining. it will probably be when you see the Judge.

If I was on a state game land I would carry my pistol concealed to avoid any hassle.
    Read Section 2525 (a) and (b)(1) posted by wew3, paying particular attention to the word "lawful".
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Gamelands are for hunting, not hiking etc.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Gamelands are for hunting, not hiking etc.
    So for all the times of the year when hunting season is closed, gamelands should be empty of people?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Get a hunting license and wear an orange hat and when questioned say you are hunting groundhog. Make sure you stay within groundhog season with is most of the year with some exceptions.
    ElmerFudd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    So for all the times of the year when hunting season is closed, gamelands should be empty of people?
    Well there is pretty much always something in season.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast