(Allegheny County)

Default Re: OC on State Game Land?

I*m coyote hunting, end of story.
    Today was a good day!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I*m coyote hunting, end of story.
    ACoE regs specifically state only loaded at the hunting site, not traveling between places, like from your vehicle to a hunting spot.

I hope you you don't encounter a ranger when you exit your vehicle with your loaded handgun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    ACoE regs specifically state only loaded at the hunting site, not traveling between places, like from your vehicle to a hunting spot.

I hope you you don't encounter a ranger when you exit your vehicle with your loaded handgun.
    If I*m coyote hunting, which I do, my rifle, AR in particular is loaded as soon as I enter the woods and stays loaded until I reach my vehicle.

So you saying I can*t legally hunt coyote while moving around the woods with a loaded rifle? Would this also apply in deer season, small game season etc? What*s the difference what season it is, hunting is hunting.
    Today was a good day!

(Berks County)

If I*m coyote hunting, which I do, my rifle, AR in particular is loaded as soon as I enter the woods and stays loaded until I reach my vehicle.

So you saying I can*t legally hunt coyote while moving around the woods with a loaded rifle? Would this also apply in deer season, small game season etc? What*s the difference what season it is, hunting is hunting.
    The regulation is a little vague, but says:

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices,
    bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being
    unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites
    ;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

Oddly enough, they list fishing. Like carrying a gun is normal for fishing (the actual act of fishing).

You would probably have a good case if you loaded after exiting your vehicle and leaving a parking lot, and while walking around. I'd think if you were loaded upon exiting and while in the parking lot, it would be easy for a ranger to say (and prove) you were not hunting in the parking lot. Or in a bathroom. Those are obviously not hunting areas and the regulation says there are areas prohibited from hunting/fishing , set by the District Commander.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    The regulation is a little vague, but says:

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices,
    bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being
    unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites
    ;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

Oddly enough, they list fishing. Like carrying a gun is normal for fishing (the actual act of fishing).

You would probably have a good case if you loaded after exiting your vehicle and leaving a parking lot, and while walking around. I'd think if you were loaded upon exiting and while in the parking lot, it would be easy for a ranger to say (and prove) you were not hunting in the parking lot. Or in a bathroom. Those are obviously not hunting areas and the regulation says there are areas prohibited from hunting/fishing , set by the District Commander.
    You keep referring to ranger, are you still talking about state game lands or you talking about something else? I don*t ever recall seeing a ranger on sgl, only a game warden. My reference is to hunting on sgl, that*s what they*re for so if I*m coyote hunting they have no case.
    Today was a good day!

Is the main reason you want to carry a rifle because you don't own a higher caliber pistol? I couldn't imagine wanting to lug a rifle around with me on a longer hike through the woods unless I was hunting.

If you spend a lot of time out in the woods your best bet would be to invest in a 10mm pistol. It's going to be a lot lighter, draw way less attention and has plenty of stopping power.

(Berks County)

You keep referring to ranger, are you still talking about state game lands or you talking about something else? I don*t ever recall seeing a ranger on sgl, only a game warden. My reference is to hunting on sgl, that*s what they*re for so if I*m coyote hunting they have no case.
    Army Corps of Engineer land.

It was another member (below) who said he was going to get a revolver to carry on ACoE land and just say he was coyote hunting. Your comment came shortly after that, so I thought you were referring to that same situation. Sorry for that.

This (again below) is asking for trouble on ACoE land. There are restricted areas there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine MM View Post
    I thought about just getting a revolver so I can carry on army Corp property, just say I'm coyote hunting.

(Chester County)

I don't hunt, but if I did I'd carry a husky revolver/semi-auto for safety reasons... more for backup for other animals that would do me harm.

Sorry to threadcrap, just curious of the opinions on this.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I don't hunt, but if I did I'd carry a husky revolver/semi-auto for safety reasons... more for backup for other animals that would do me harm.

Sorry to threadcrap, just curious of the opinions on this.
    I used to carry a revolver in either 44 or 357 as a backup to my rifle. I figured, if I messed up the scope or something on my rifle, at least I wouldn't have to go home for the day. Then, I just started hunting with a handgun for a while . Now, I'm usually with my kid, so she carries a rifle and I usually just carry a 44 revolver as a backup to her.

As for "animals that do harm" that's going to be the two legged variety 99.9% of the time. If I'm just worried about safety in that sense I just carry my normal edc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234