Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: hunting/long range ish question.

Thanks for the recommendation for the bergara HMR, I went down the rabbit hole on YouTube watching tons of video reviews on that. Now I think that may be what I'm getting. I'm going to look around for a decent price on one next week and see what I can find. I'm going to make this a birthday present for me, turning 54 Saturday. Next will be the scope but not ready for that yet. Appreciate all the help with this. I'll post up pictures as soon as I have it and have it to the range.

(Montgomery County)

I would suggest getting something very inexpensive like a Ruger American, buying a low tier Vortex scope and spend the rest on ammo. Do this so you can speed yourself out to the range and work on your skill. Hardware is hardware and the entry level stuff today is better than the top tier stuff from two decades ago. Mnufacturing tolerances get tighter and methods improve by the year. A good shooter is more important than a good rifle.

There is no real good solution for both long range shooting and hunting here in PA. The distances involved in hunting here are typically close. Rifles are purpose built tools, the attributes that make a rifle great for long range make it a hinderance for hunting and vice versa. Figure out for yourself what your use case is and get the tool for the job. However, there is not a single piece of gear that one can buy that will increase skill. That comes from good trigger time and training.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Berks County)

I just went through a similar process, looking for a new hunting rifle. After watching a ton of reviews, and handling all 3, these were my finalists.

Tikka T3x
    Bergara B-14
    Franchi Momentum Elite

I've owned a Tikka T3 Superlight in the past, and loved it. Regret selling it. I ended up with the Franchi in 308 and couldn't be happier with my decision. I also got a heck of a deal on it. Somewhere in the $725 range.

franchi-momentum-elite-bolt-action-rifle-770.jpg

I should also note I have plenty of Ruger American rifles in various calibers and they all shoot pretty good for a budget gun.

(Montgomery County)

Here is a Great Forum that I belong to. https://www.longrangehunting.com/

Lots of info in there.

My favorite hunting rifle that I own is my savage axis II in 30-06. It's virtually weightless and shoots consistent. No frills, no bells or whistles. I've had it about 6 years and I paid under $300 for it.

(Lycoming County)

I can't say enough good about my M70 extreme weather in 300wm. Perfect setup in my opinion

(Susquehanna County)

Love my Tilka in 3006! You can get em in 308 if that is your preference, I just prefer the 3006 personally for hunting, and 308 is a close second.
    I had a Ruger American in 308 and I should have kept it, cuz it shot really well for a budget friendly firearm. So many great options. Get your hands on a few before ya make your decision so ya can see how they feel in hand.

(York County)

Tikka's are great and the Howa 1500 line are good too. As for the optics I would look at Riton Optics. They are an American company & Veteran owned and the prices are decent. I have two scopes from them that have kept zero in pretty harsh hunting conditions.

I think you are smart to ask the members here since there is a ton of experience on this board using a wide array of the type of firearm you are looking for. Good luck with whatever you decide on and come back and let us know what your final setup is!

(Carbon County)

Just wanted to update, my spring and summer was nuts with work, put off the purchase for a bit. Did get a new CCW in April, a P365XL. work finally slowed to just really busy so took a week off between Christmas and new year and did more research and watched reviews on every ref;e recommended here. a few videos comparing 4 of the top mentions here head to head. Finally made a decision. Bergara B14-HMR 308. I kept going back and forth on a few and also on 6.5 vs 308. Went 308 as cheaper to shoot. I'm hoping to put some range time in and don't want to go broke(even more). I have a friend in the neighborhood that reloads 308 for a rem 700 she built up. So having access to cheaper ammo its a plus. I got it Saturday after Christmas. Have not picked up glass yet and once I do I'll be at the range doing the barrel break in procedure as per Bergara. strangely I ended up picking up a couple more, I was talking to a customer and we got chatting about rifles, he offered up a 30-06 moss berg 1500(Howa action) and threw in a marlin 22 semi under $400. So now I have a few that need range time. Heading to the great outdoor show in a couple weeks, should be interesting and hopefully I can pick up a few accessories. wanted to thank everyone for their input. Next is glass, been looking at swfa, among others. FFP but not 100% sure on anything else. sadly its too damn cold lately..

(Bucks County)

I put a Leupold VX5 2-10 on my Browning A Bolt in 308 and absolutely love it. Fantastic glass, great low end magnification for still hunting if you do that and 10x covers longer ranges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12