Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR57

(Chester County)

Default Re: AR57

The ergonomics of the PS90 are neat, the trigger blows. I shoot a SBR PS90 and the pistol occasionally and its novelty but I certainly wouldn't trust one as a carry piece.

The article sums it up nicely, less power than a 9mm, smaller permanent wound cavity and 10.6" of penetration in bare gel. Some of the 5.7 rounds pierce soft armor, 9mm frangible can sometimes do that.

In a HD situation threat stopping is critical. I would much rather be posted up with an AR or 12g waiting for the intruder than maneuvering in the house with a PS90.

Police and SS that may use them have the luxury of multiple officers firing on a suspect, not in a 1:1 engagement. Their political optics of the need to hide a rifle make sense for their P90s full auto. For a civilian the rifle doesnt do anything better than an AR.

For the pistol, you get capacity in exchange for lack of energy. I'll pass.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges. 5.7x28mm is meant to be a PDW caliber. You're talking rifle performance from a pistol that's the same size as a Glock 17. You're not getting 5.56 in a gun that size and have similar performance. In braced pistol/rifle form, the 5.56 wins in nearly every category, except recoil, noise, and capacity. One area it wins at that isn't a win at all for HD is over-penetration. 5.7x28mm is less likely to over-penetrate than 5.56 and is therefore a better round for HD if that is a concern. My PS90 is one of my HD guns for this reason.
    I mentioned comparing apples to apples. My statement of sticking the same bullet in an AR at 2600fps will give it the same penetration, probably less recoil with the AR being heavier, noise, who knows and capacity....well drum mags can give an AR more?
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    The ergonomics of the PS90 are neat, the trigger blows. I shoot a SBR PS90 and the pistol occasionally and its novelty but I certainly wouldn't trust one as a carry piece.

The article sums it up nicely, less power than a 9mm, smaller permanent wound cavity and 10.6" of penetration in bare gel. Some of the 5.7 rounds pierce soft armor, 9mm frangible can sometimes do that.

In a HD situation threat stopping is critical. I would much rather be posted up with an AR or 12g waiting for the intruder than maneuvering in the house with a PS90.

Police and SS that may use them have the luxury of multiple officers firing on a suspect, not in a 1:1 engagement. Their political optics of the need to hide a rifle make sense for their P90s full auto. For a civilian the rifle doesnt do anything better than an AR.

For the pistol, you get capacity in exchange for lack of energy. I'll pass.
    The trigger on the PS90 can be improved with a Man Kave Specialties Hammer and Sear kit and a Promoted Pawn Creep Killer. Night and day difference. Alternatively, you could get a Promoted Pawn Delta Trigger Pack, if he ever offers them again.

I mentioned comparing apples to apples. My statement of sticking the same bullet in an AR at 2600fps will give it the same penetration, probably less recoil with the AR being heavier, noise, who knows and capacity....well drum mags can give an AR more?
    A 28gr bullet from a 5.56 case would have a lot more energy and velocity simply because there's more powder propelling a much lighter bullet. Unless you worked up a handload that perfectly mimics a 5.7 from an AR. Which makes zero sense. And I don't know anyone offering such a load. Standard 5.56 offerings are 55, 62, or 77. 55gr and 62gr bullets from a 5.7x28 are subsonic due to the reduction in powder. Apples to oranges.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges. 5.7x28mm is meant to be a PDW caliber. You're talking rifle performance from a pistol that's the same size as a Glock 17. You're not getting 5.56 in a gun that size and have similar performance. In braced pistol/rifle form, the 5.56 wins in nearly every category, except recoil, noise, and capacity. One area it wins at that isn't a win at all for HD is over-penetration. 5.7x28mm is less likely to over-penetrate than 5.56 and is therefore a better round for HD if that is a concern. My PS90 is one of my HD guns for this reason.
    You chose the 27gr at 2600 fps for it's less likely to over penetrate and recoil and because you say its a better HD round so why dont any manufacturers produce it in 223 for the most popular rifle?
    Hoplophobia is funny

You chose the 27gr at 2600 fps for it's less likely to over penetrate and recoil and because you say its a better HD round so why dont any manufacturers produce it in 223 for the most popular rifle?
    Probably because the AR wasn't designed to fire a bullet that light. At best it would be a wildcat round. A super light bullet propelled by MORE powder equals greater velocity and therefore more energy. So that would probably defeat the whole "not over-penetrating" thing, especially with T6B which is designed to penetrate armor.

Elite Ammunition does have a 5.56/.223 round that uses the 27gr projectile from the T6B. No idea how fast it goes or the energy it produces. Since it's using a much larger case and more powder, it's probably got a lot more oomph.

(York County)

Cool concept, but 5.7 is designed to be fired from a compact firearm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123