Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR57

Default Re: AR57

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    A few years ago, I've owned everything 5.7. I had the 16" AR57 and it was cool, but I ended up selling it. Those uppers are designed for red dots and not true scopes.

The new "AR57" uppers are made by Panzer as AR57, sold the rights to Panzer.

A couple of years ago, I decided I wanted the AR57 12.5" barrel as I thought it would be neat to use a binary trigger with the upper. I found out prior to buying the 12.5" upper that the binary trigger wouldn't work with the upper, so I decided not to make the purchase.

I read all of these pro/con on the 5.7. My opinion is that, people will not want to be shot with one...I don't care if you were shot with a 10" or a 16". Go take a look at what happened at the Ft. Hood shooting and that guy wasn't even using the best 5.7ammo that was available, so come to your own conclusions.
    And I still have the PS90 I bought from you way back when.

As for the Fort Hood incident, the results, while terrible, were nothing statistically to write home about. He fired 214 rounds and only killed 13 people. 32 others were wounded, but not all of them were shot. And the ones who were shot and survived had similar wounds to the ones who died. But I agree, I wouldn't want to get shot by any 5.7 round from any barrel length. For personal use, I'm still going to go with the best I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    And I still have the PS90 I bought from you way back when.

As for the Fort Hood incident, the results, while terrible, were nothing statistically to write home about. He fired 214 rounds and only killed 13 people. 32 others were wounded, but not all of them were shot. And the ones who were shot and survived had similar wounds to the ones who died. But I agree, I wouldn't want to get shot by any 5.7 round from any barrel length. For personal use, I'm still going to go with the best I can get.
    I'm not intimately familiar with the fort hood incident, but while he fired 214 shots, from what I'm aware of, every person that got shot in the body(not limb), died. If that's accurate, then i would consider it effective, because any bullet that misses, regardless of caliber, is probably not going to kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    I'm not intimately familiar with the fort hood incident, but while he fired 214 shots, from what I'm aware of, every person that got shot in the body(not limb), died. If that's accurate, then i would consider it effective, because any bullet that misses, regardless of caliber, is probably not going to kill someone.
    There were people who were shot multiple times in the chest and back who survived, while others who were shot in the torso died. One person was shot seven times and lived. Also, never discount a limb hit. Hit an artery and you can bleed out in minutes.

My point with the Ft. Hood was that he was using a "watered down" 5.7 load and it killed multiple victims. Imagine the damage that would have been caused if the shooter would have done his research and choose a more effective load.

This conversation reminds me of those that say 223/5.56 is a "weak" round. I would say that "DC sniper" was using just FMJ and he killed his victims with the best hospitals vs being shot in combat. IMO, the 223/5.56 should not be discounted, and neither should the 5.7.

It seems as of lately, the 5.7 has seen a resurgence.

I owned two PS90s and I miss selling them. I just don't know if I'd get back into 5.7 again.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    My point with the Ft. Hood was that he was using a "watered down" 5.7 load and it killed multiple victims. Imagine the damage that would have been caused if the shooter would have done his research and choose a more effective load.

This conversation reminds me of those that say 223/5.56 is a "weak" round. I would say that "DC sniper" was using just FMJ and he killed his victims with the best hospitals vs being shot in combat. IMO, the 223/5.56 should not be discounted, and neither should the 5.7.

It seems as of lately, the 5.7 has seen a resurgence.

I owned two PS90s and I miss selling them. I just don't know if I'd get back into 5.7 again.
    Yeah, and the VT shooter used a .22lr handgun (and a 9mm). Any bullet can kill. They wouldn't be very useful if they couldn't.

(Chester County)

What is so special about this EA ammo? 27gr at 2600fps

Stick that same bullet in a 223 case boom done
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    What is so special about this EA ammo? 27gr at 2600fps

Stick that same bullet in a 223 case boom done
    You're comparing apples to oranges. 5.7x28mm is meant to be a PDW caliber. You're talking rifle performance from a pistol that's the same size as a Glock 17. You're not getting 5.56 in a gun that size and have similar performance. In braced pistol/rifle form, the 5.56 wins in nearly every category, except recoil, noise, and capacity. One area it wins at that isn't a win at all for HD is over-penetration. 5.7x28mm is less likely to over-penetrate than 5.56 and is therefore a better round for HD if that is a concern. My PS90 is one of my HD guns for this reason.

(Chester County)

Have some data to prove the home defense less likely to over penetrate claim?

I go back to the ballistic data, it can be the same bullet at the same speed.

Also a ps90 is quite similar in size to a AR pistol.

Also in my experience the proprietary coating on the cases scrapes off when sizing the brass and the shoulder must be pushed back so far that the case life sucks. Trimming the tiny cases also sucks.
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Have some data to prove the home defense less likely to over penetrate claim?

I go back to the ballistic data, it can be the same bullet at the same speed.

Also a ps90 is quite similar in size to a AR pistol.

Also in my experience the proprietary coating on the cases scrapes off when sizing the brass and the shoulder must be pushed back so far that the case life sucks. Trimming the tiny cases also sucks.
    Lots of info out there. Here's one that sums it up pretty well - https://www.usacarry.com/how-powerful-is-5-7x28mm/

PS90 may be, but an AR pistol is quite a bit larger than a Ruger 57, PSA Rock, FN FiveseveN, or S&W M&P 5.7. The PS90 has the advantage of a 50 round mag and the ammo is a good bit lighter than 5.56. The Kel Tec P50 (with or without a brace) is smaller than an AR pistol and also has a 50 round capacity and close to half the weight.

I don't reload 5.7 ammo. It's too much of a pain. I have plenty on hand. Those that do reload know to not strip off the case lacquer. It can be reapplied, but it's not the same as the factory coating.

ps90 in, even without sbr, is nothing like an ar. The ergonomics of it are wildly better, the weight distribution is better, lower recoil, downward ejection. If you are going to have an AR platform, with AR weight, and AR size, shoot a 5.56.

If you have never held a ps90, and only held AR, it's very hard to explain the difference. You can forget the ps90 is even there, it's by far the most comfortable thing I've ever held and fired. especially in close quarters, the maneuverability of a bullpup is unreal.

AR platform for me is a field rifle or other wide open spaces, 50-300 yards, and I'd want a round more powerful than 5.56. I wouldn't be confident in 5.7 at 100 yards, I'd rather it in close quarters out to 50 yards.

I am really curious about that new 5.7 psa is coming out with,a nd a few other names. Will they have the same coating? If not, how can you trust it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast