Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ CCW Approved

(Philadelphia County)

Default NJ CCW Approved

I never thought I'd see the day, but today, I picked up my NJ CCW from the NJSP Barracks.

After the SCOTUS Bruen decision came down, I immediately researched the requirements for an NJ CCW and worked with an NRA Instructor I know to go through the shooting qualification. I chose to use my Sig P365 since that is the gun I carry the most.

I originally applied online for the prerequisite NJ FID on 7/6/22. That was finally approved on 11/6/22. It took a little longer because the Philadelphia Health Department required a separate form for the release of any mental health records, which was different than the form NJSP provided. NJSP instructs non-residents to apply at/with the NJSP Barracks closest to their residence. I chose Bellmawr, Camden County. The NJSP Detective handling FIDs and CCWs emailed me within a few days to get things moving along. He was very personable and professional. He did let me know up front that this was a collateral duty for him and as much as he tries to knock out applications quickly, if a shooting, etc occurs, gun permits get pushed to the back burner while he investigates crimes. I didn't get the feeling that he was either anti or pro gun. He seemed "indifferent." We did communicate a few times via email and phone over those 4 months my FID was pending and he was always very responsive. The formal tone of emails and calling each other Mister and Detective went away quickly and we were on a first name basis in short order.

With the FID, I was then able to make an appointment to apply for the CCW. Due to my work schedule, I wasn't able to apply until 11/28/22. The Detective used my fingerprints, background check and mental health check from the FID process for my CCW. Apparently that doesn't always happen or have to happen. If more than a few weeks goes by, they can make you do the prints and everything all over again. I made an appointment with him and handed everything over right in the lobby of the barracks. At the time, the issuing authority was the Superior Court Judge in the county you applied in. He let me know that Camden County was backed up and I'd likely be waiting a few months. He also let me know that the Judges were trying to remove themselves from the process and that could delay things further.

Fast forward to this past Friday, 2/17. I got a phone call from a different Trooper at Bellmawr saying I was approved and I could pick it up at the front desk anytime I wanted. I was able to pick it up this afternoon. It was approved on 2/14. So, Approved in 78 days (11/28-2/14).

An awesome plot twist is that the CCW statute was amended on 12/22/22 taking the Superior Court out of the process. With that, if the CCW permit was signed by the NJSP Superintendent, the permit holder can carry ANY gun they legally own, not just the gun they qualified with. If the permit was signed by a Judge, the permit holder must abide by the court order that comes with the permit, which specifies which guns may be carried. I got lucky and my permit was signed by the Superintendent, so I can carry any gun I own as long as it has 10 round mags. A friend of mine was also recently approved, but applied through a different barracks. His permit was approved by a Judge and is limited to carrying the two specific guns listed on the court order.

Maryland is likely next on the list, but I'm still trying to decide if it's worth the time and expense.
    Last edited by PHLJJS; February 20th, 2023 at 09:12 PM.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: NJ CCW Approved

Good to hear.
    I have read about similar approval time frames on NJgunforums. It's good that they took the Superior court out of the process, but they are trying to put a boatload of carry restrictions into the process. The good thing is that i believe many of them have been "stayed" for the moment by legal injunction.

(Montgomery County)

Congrats. What a pain and investment of time and money, but worth it as we know...

Not to cast doubt considering your knowledge gained going through the process, but are you sure you need an FID card as a pre-req? If that is mainly for purchasing, then why is is needed when applying for a permit to carry?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Congrats. What a pain and investment of time and money, but worth it as we know...

Not to cast doubt considering your knowledge gained going through the process, but are you sure you need an FID card as a pre-req? If that is mainly for purchasing, then why is is needed when applying for a permit to carry?
    I agree that it makes really no sense considering I'm a non-resident and would likely never buy a gun/ammo in NJ, but when I started researching, pretty much everywhere I looked for info indicated obtaining an FID was step 1, although the instructions on the NJSP site don't list it.

Here's a link to one of the many ranges/sites I visited for info.
    https://www.rtsponline.com/steps-to-...process%20here!

(Berks County)

what is the current status of NJ trying to effectively ban carry even with a permit.

(Bucks County)

I am waiting for a bit.
    I haven't gone through the program because they change or seem to change weekly with regards to the law and where and when to carry. They are very different from PA. I would not feel comfortable yet carrying in NJ.

BUT I hope to one day be able to drive across the bridge concealed.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    what is the current status of NJ trying to effectively ban carry even with a permit.
    Many of the restrictions have been stayed by a Federal Judge, but the lawsuits are still being litigated and nothing is final.

(Northampton County)

Wow, I've literally never known anyone out-of-state to get approved. You've given me enough hope that I think I will give it a try. We live right on the border and it's a pain having to leave my gun home every time I think I might go into NJ.

(Bucks County)

Who told you the Firearm Purchaser ID was required? It actually isn't. Even for NJ residents you can buy a handgun and a get a carry permit without ever having one. The handgun purchase permit and license to carry are all separate from the FPID, which is technically just a long gun purchase permit. On the license to carry application it even says to list your Firearm Purchaser Id number "if you have one".

I never thought in my lifetime I would see the day something like this would happen. I am now convinced it is possible that pigs can actually fly.

Congratulations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast