Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJ CCW Approved

(Delaware County)

Default Re: NJ CCW Approved

Congrats! Still a lot of BS to exercise a Constitutionally enumerated right. What about ammo? Can you have hollow points or does it have to be fmj? Seems it would mean you have to EDC with ball in the chance you cross the bridge.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Congrats! Still a lot of BS to exercise a Constitutionally enumerated right. What about ammo? Can you have hollow points or does it have to be fmj? Seems it would mean you have to EDC with ball in the chance you cross the bridge.
    https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

See item 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak0 View Post
    Who told you the Firearm Purchaser ID was required? It actually isn't. Even for NJ residents you can buy a handgun and a get a carry permit without ever having one. The handgun purchase permit and license to carry are all separate from the FPID, which is technically just a long gun purchase permit. On the license to carry application it even says to list your Firearm Purchaser Id number "if you have one".
    As I previously said, multiple resources I found indicated an FID was necessary. Mybe it is, maybe it isn't. No one, including NJSP, provides straightforward instructions on the entire process. There is always some level of ambiguity.

I chose to start with obtaining an FID because the research led me to that path. If I would have skipped that step, could I have gotten the CCW anyway and in a shorter time frame? Maybe. But, if that happened, I'd likely have a restricted permit issued by a Judge instead of an unrestricted permit issued by NJSP. In this case, I guess the extra step and longer timeframe was a blessing in disguise.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

There's no sanity on the east side of the Delaware River.
    I'm pretty sure NJ wrote their hollowpoint law based on the state never being shall issue. Now that it is, I'm sure they will continue to circle the wagons and not change the law, since it a specific law.

(Philadelphia County)

I asked the Trooper handling my application about ammo restrictions and he specifically said Hornady Critical Duty/Defense was legal and the way to go. Olderguy was nice enough to post the relevant NJSP FAQ link.

(Montgomery County)

A quick thanks to the OP. Great info here.

As a 25yr resident of PA w/a carry permit, but not a holder of one in NJ yet, I'm keeping this thread going.

There is a bit of confusion to this process.
    A Sgt. @ the closest NJ SP barracks to my home told me,
    "Everything is online now. We have no forms or paperwork for you here." Meaning, the start of the process.

The info here: https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/index.shtml
    tells a different story.

But my closest barracks, the one I called, does NOT have an ORI listing here: https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/ori-list.shtml

So I called the closest one that DOES have a listing. No answer. I'll try again later.

I also wrote to the firearms investigation unit, asking for clarification. I will let you all know.
    I ain't hiding from nobody, nobody hiding from me. That's the way it's 'sposed to be.-RVZ

(Montgomery County)

Here is the very timely reply from firearms invest. unit:

As an out of state resident, there are two things you can apply for:

#1. Firearms Identification Card. Go to this link for more information: Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit (njportal.com)
    State Police
    www.njportal.com
    (Out of state residents can NOT apply for a permit to purchase a handgun in New Jersey)

#2. Permit to Carry. Go to this link for more information: Concealed Carry Permits (njportal.com)

If your goal is to get a Concealed Carry Permit in New Jersey and you have never been fingerprinted in New Jersey for firearms purposes, start with #1 above.

If you already have a New Jersey SBI number for firearms purposes, you can start with #2.

The process is completed online. There is no need to go to a station.

ALSO SEE ADD'L REQ'MNTS (ATTACHED) WHICH I HAVE NOT HAD THE OPP. TO PERUSE YET
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Starfighter; February 29th, 2024 at 02:31 PM.
    I ain't hiding from nobody, nobody hiding from me. That's the way it's 'sposed to be.-RVZ

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Here is the very timely reply from firearms invest. unit:

As an out of state resident, there are two things you can apply for:

#1. Firearms Identification Card. Go to this link for more information: Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit (njportal.com)
    State Police
    www.njportal.com
    (Out of state residents can NOT apply for a permit to purchase a handgun in New Jersey)

#2. Permit to Carry. Go to this link for more information: Concealed Carry Permits (njportal.com)

If your goal is to get a Concealed Carry Permit in New Jersey and you have never been fingerprinted in New Jersey for firearms purposes, start with #1 above.

If you already have a New Jersey SBI number for firearms purposes, you can start with #2.

The process is completed online. There is no need to go to a station.

ALSO SEE ADD'L REQ'MNTS (ATTACHED) WHICH I HAVE NOT HAD THE OPP. TO PERUSE YET
    Thanks for the reminder that it's been just over a year since I got my permit! In that year I've been to NJ more than I have in about a decade prior to having my CCW, but still avoid crossing the bridge whenever possible.

I've helped a couple friends go through the process in the last year. While the response from NJSP you posted is the first time I've seen them actually state in writing to get an FID first (to get fingerprinted and an SBI #) as a non-resident, we started there anyway because the local barracks no longer accepted applications in person and pushed everyone to the website. And the website doesn't let you get far unless you have an SBI or CCW #.

I had one friend get his CCW approved in 3 weeks via the Bordentown Barracks. Two others used Frenchtown and they're slow.

I'm actually taking a class at the end of March with a friend to become a certified Instructor, so if you're still looking for help getting qualified and getting your CCW at that time, PM me.
    Last edited by PHLJJS; February 29th, 2024 at 07:12 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Well I'll admit I was wrong, I never thought NJ would issue out of state permits

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12