Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 300 Savage ammo. Reloading suggestions.

Have a Savage 99 in 300 Savage that dates back to 1950, looking for ammo or suggestions on powder to reload with.

(Butler County)

Default Re: 300 Savage ammo. Reloading suggestions.

Any older reloading manual will have load data for 300 Savage for certain. 1980 Hornady Handbook Third Edition and 1987 Speer Reloading Manual number 11 both have 300 Savage load data.

(Susquehanna County)

The Hodgdon web based reloading data center has .300 Savage listed also. If you ever decide to sell you Model 99 let me know!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

I am looking more for someone's experience with reloading for the gun not just text book stuff.

As to selling this old 99 not a chance. I was wanting one too long. When they quit making them it broke my heart as I was saving at that time to buy a new one. Glad I didn't buy then as those had the box magazine and were lower quality. This old girl I have now is 2 years older than me and still going strong just like me. When I am done hunting I have a grand son who will get her.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twobits View Post
    I am looking more for someone's experience with reloading for the gun not just text book stuff.
    Understand. Search the web it might still be available there what you're looking for is a PDF file (too big for me to post here I think) titled "Complete Guide to Handloading" by Philip Sharpe copyright dates 1937. good Luck!

Brick, I don't think that book would be of much help. Powders have changed so much that any data list could be dangerous to use. Looking for people loading today for these guns.

(Bucks County)

The 300 savage has been around for over 100 years so there are no secrets to it. Use the Hodgdon modern load data and be happy.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twobits View Post
    Brick, I don't think that book would be of much help. Powders have changed so much that any data list could be dangerous to use. Looking for people loading today for these guns.
    I thought you wanted to know about technique etc. not mere load data. Prepping brass and the like haven't changed much and you'll be using modern brass with modern primers, bullets and powders. Any of the reloading manuals give you good step by stem instructions. It is all pretty generic. The steps are the same then as now but different tools and instrumentation.

I am not a rookie. I have been reloading for since 1978. I have loaded for 243, 308, 22-250, 30-06, 357, 9mm and 380. Some of my reloads for the 243 and 22-250 have been used for some very long range woodchuck hunting. Have a load for my 22-250 that at 300 yds you can hit a walnut with it. This is first time loading for a Savage 99 in any caliber so I wanted to pick some brains as to what to watch for or what works for others. And no I don't want any load specifics just general info as to what powders, or bullets others use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast