Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 300 Savage ammo. Reloading suggestions.

I load for the model 99 in 300sav in two old guns and in a Remington Classic chambered for it. My all-around best accuracy round in all three rifles is 39gr of Varget under a 150gr Hornady SST made specifically for the 300SAV. (Hornady Part# 30303).
    Trim cartridge to 1.865. The OAL should be 2.55" to 2.60" depending on how many rounds have been shot through the old girls chambers.
    Not quite as accurate but good is Hornady's 150SST Part#30302. (OAL will vary from above but should be close).

I also had good accuracy with 40gr of Varget under either Sierra Gameking 150gr SBT #2125 or for shooting paper, Nosler's Competition 168gr HPBT #53164 over 38gr of Varget. Again, your OAL will vary using these bullets from what I listed above.
    Both my Model 99's were dated back to the late 20's to late 30's and the Remington Classic was a new purchase and still chambered though extraction had a little resistance.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Looking more for deer hunting accuracy more than anything. Area I hunt in NW Pa does have some open fields but normally I hunt inside the edges and anything over 100yds is almost impossible. My long range shooting days are over.

I understand, 2bits. But what I offered is accurate and deadly on deer. Shot placement is EVERYTHING. All the velocity in the world will only cripple a deer that you may not find or mangle the meat unnecessarily. The loads above for 300 Savage have dropped deer in thick Penns woods within 50 yards and out to 150 yds in openings. And you never want to exceed the SAMI max pressure on these old guns. (Hence why my reloads are moderate and NOT near max). You don't need to for Whitetails.
    My 6.5 Grendel drops big PA deer, and it is a mediocre velocity compared to the 6.5 Creedmore.
    The 300 savage was made almost obsolete by the 308 REM. The ONLY difference between the two calibers is velocity due to the larger case capacity and higher max pressure. Both do the same thing to a deer if you hit it in the vitals. When I wrote about accuracy, I'm talking hunting. Not long range shooting.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Delaware County)

Try http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com. They are primarily a cast bullet site, but their users are fans of everything vintage. There will be someone there that can help you with loads for whatever bullets and powders you can lay your hands on.

Bought a caliber specific loading manual for 300 Savage. Has info directly from bullet and powder manufacturers. That should help me.

(Lebanon County)

I like IMR4895 and Hornady Interlocks for reloading 300 Savage. If I remember I use 42 grains for 150s and 40 grains for 180s.

Thanks moosemike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12