Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: 🦌Pennsylvania hunters want change

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    The whole crowd would meet friday morning at camp. Have fun all weekend. Hang low sunday in preparation for hunting mon,
    tue, wed. Go home thursday.
    Now its get there friday, do nothing. Hunt sat, sun, mon and go home. YAY.
    You can hunt anytime you want, but you cant always get the whole crowd together and have a great weekend.
    But, why go home early? You used to stay until Thursday and you still can. You just get 2 extra days to go hunting if you want. If you want to get so fucked up you can't go out Saturday morning, then don't hunt until Monday. The guys I go with still drink beer and play cards Fri, Sat, Sun. We just get up and spend the day hunting instead of, doing nothing. If you and those guys can't have a good time and go hunting, then I don't know what to tell you. That's a problem with you and them.

(Allegheny County)

For years, we hunted out of my buddy's 15 foot trailer. We tented it in, put 2 LP heaters in there, put a 14 x14 piece of rubber roofing for the floor and stayed Friday thru We or Thursday.
    That trailer shit the bed.
    I bought a used 23 foot Shasta with a 6 gallon water heater and a shower.
    Kings we were. We tented it in as well.
    When doe and buck consolidated, I believe 90 % of all deer were killed off in the area we hunted. 3 years of only seeing a handful and we stopped going north.
    About 10 or 12 years into the new antler restrictions, my buddy bought a camp and we tried again. We saw more deer but were not successful till my buddy got a 7 point a few years ago.

We go up with myself, my 70yo buddy, his 72 yo non hunting cousin and his 25 yo kiddo who only hunts Sat and Sun due to work.

Now I'm 73. He's 71 so we need to hunt close to help each other if one of us scores.
    My doe tags ( 3) are 2a and 2b and I've been getting a few buck before rifle season so I'd go just to hang out, walk a rifle and enjoy the company.

I can see that ending not too far down the road. Not sure if his kiddo would continue.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    But, why go home early? You used to stay until Thursday and you still can. You just get 2 extra days to go hunting if you want. If you want to get so fucked up you can't go out Saturday morning, then don't hunt until Monday. The guys I go with still drink beer and play cards Fri, Sat, Sun. We just get up and spend the day hunting instead of, doing nothing. If you and those guys can't have a good time and go hunting, then I don't know what to tell you. That's a problem with you and them.
    Because we always can't get together but once a year, we also hunt at home, not just at the mountain house.
    FJB

(Lycoming County)

Because we always can't get together but once a year, we also hunt at home, not just at the mountain house.
    I get that, but if you were already getting together Fri thru Wed, for rifle season then you still can. Nothing else has changed but the start of hunting. I don't get why anything has changed except being able to start two days earlier? You can still take the same days off as before and go. If not, then the start day probably doesn't have anything to do with it. Why limit those of us that get 2 extra days to take our kids out?

(Bucks County)

I*m not understanding either. Same days together, only thing that changes is opening day.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lancaster County)

The whole crowd would meet friday morning at camp. Have fun all weekend. Hang low sunday in preparation for hunting mon,
    tue, wed. Go home thursday.
    Now its get there friday, do nothing. Hunt sat, sun, mon and go home. YAY.
    You can hunt anytime you want, but you cant always get the whole crowd together and have a great weekend.
    So, tell me why can't you all still do just that? Its a lot like the lock on S&W revolvers, it's there if you want or you can simply ignore it and do business as usual. same goes for the newfangled auto parking on newer cars you can ignore it and park yourself or use the damn button....again YOUR choice as to what you want to do, don't want to hunt on Saturday or Sunday, well don't. stick to the routine your used to and are comfortable with and go out on Monday, The deer do not know what day it is.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I get that, but if you were already getting together Fri thru Wed, for rifle season then you still can. Nothing else has changed but the start of hunting. I don't get why anything has changed except being able to start two days earlier? You can still take the same days off as before and go. If not, then the start day probably doesn't have anything to do with it. Why limit those of us that get 2 extra days to take our kids out?
    [COLOR="#000000"]None of us like sitting in the house doing nothing. We shoot, blow shit up, ride atv's,
    visit friends the other mountain, all of that we do up until sat night.
    Now you get there friday, stay inside, cant make noise, cant have one too many as getting up at 3am wont work,.

Put it to you this way, now there is only one guy that hunts now, and he thinks gun shots and fireworks scare deer,
    so can you imagine hanging with him all weekend?
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    So, tell me why can't you all still do just that? Its a lot like the lock on S&W revolvers, it's there if you want or you can simply ignore it and do business as usual. same goes for the newfangled auto parking on newer cars you can ignore it and park yourself or use the damn button....again YOUR choice as to what you want to do, don't want to hunt on Saturday or Sunday, well don't. stick to the routine your used to and are comfortable with and go out on Monday, The deer do not know what day it is.
    We have other people in the area that we don't want to disturb. Sometimes your house will get robbed or burn down,
    if you piss the wrong person off.
    FJB

(Clearfield County)

I still don't understand why game laws need to be based on people's desire to party.

(Lycoming County)

[COLOR="#000000"]None of us like sitting in the house doing nothing. We shoot, blow shit up, ride atv's,
    visit friends the other mountain, all of that we do up until sat night.
    Now you get there friday, stay inside, cant make noise, cant have one too many as getting up at 3am wont work,.

Put it to you this way, now there is only one guy that hunts now, and he thinks gun shots and fireworks scare deer,
    so can you imagine hanging with him all weekend?
    So your losing one day of blowing shit up and drinking until you can't get up in the morning and my kid should miss out on 2 days of deer season for that? Sorry, but I don't have that much sympathy. I'm calling bs you can't make noise either, I guess howling at the moon and setting off explosions after dark is more important than trying to get new hunters in the field. If there's only one guy that hunts anymore, then you weren't there for the hunting anyway. Plan a drunk weekend one of the other 50 weeks in the year where you can blow up the whole side of a mountain if you like and let the rest of us hunt.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast