Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Semi-Auto Handguns for hunting

So does anyone think that they will ever allow semi-autos for the large game seasons? At some point one thinks we will eventually make our way to the same as other states.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Semi-Auto Handguns for hunting

Nope. Never gonna happen.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob96 View Post
    So does anyone think that they will ever allow semi-autos for the large game seasons? At some point one thinks we will eventually make our way to the same as other states.
    Do other states allow semi-auto handguns? If so, are there minimum caliber and projectile requirements? Typical semi-auto calibers take some time to kill.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Do other states allow semi-auto handguns? If so, are there minimum caliber and projectile requirements? Typical semi-auto calibers take some time to kill.
    some do allow it for semi auto if they meet the restrictions. Nebraska allows handguns with a min of 400 lbs of energy at 50 yards and 6 round limit, Michigan allows 35 cal or larger straight wall handguns 9 round limit, iowa allows 35-50 cal handguns with min barrel of 4" and min 500 ft lbs of muzzle energy, ohio is 5 inch min barrel length, straight walled 357 and larger, new hampshire only allows certain handgun calibers in certain places, and there are several other states that allow semiauto handguns with min barrel lengths, caliber restrictions, muzzle energy, etc.

all that being said i do not see this being allowed in PA anytime soon considering the fighting that occurs with semi-auto rifles.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    some do allow it for semi auto if they meet the restrictions. Nebraska allows handguns with a min of 400 lbs of energy at 50 yards and 6 round limit, Michigan allows 35 cal or larger straight wall handguns 9 round limit, iowa allows 35-50 cal handguns with min barrel of 4" and min 500 ft lbs of muzzle energy, ohio is 5 inch min barrel length, straight walled 357 and larger, new hampshire only allows certain handgun calibers in certain places, and there are several other states that allow semiauto handguns with min barrel lengths, caliber restrictions, muzzle energy, etc.

all that being said i do not see this being allowed in PA anytime soon considering the fighting that occurs with semi-auto rifles.
    Interesting. Yes, I figured there would have to be restrictions. I wonder if the restrictions include using factory ammo only, since reloaded ammo wouldn't have a published velocity, so no definite ft lbs number.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Interesting. Yes, I figured there would have to be restrictions. I wonder if the restrictions include using factory ammo only, since reloaded ammo wouldn't have a published velocity, so no definite ft lbs number.
    I believe the Iowa law was written that it has to be factory loaded ammo with the box showing the energy or your have to prove your own ammo calculates to the 500 ft lbs.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob96 View Post
    What semi would you use for hunting deer/bears here in Pa.?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    What semi would you use for hunting deer/bears here in Pa.?
    Desert Eagle .357 or bigger would work for deer.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Well I hunted with a Marlin in 357 mag years ago, the fps was increased cause of the longer barrel. My S&W 686 in 6 inch was capable of a kill shot on deer and hogs at 25 yards .Not sure of the accuracy of a desert eagle at those distances .

(Berks County)

10mm is legal in some of the states i looked up. take a 1911 in 10mm or a g40. buffalo bore has a 180gr JHP that makes a little over 700 ft lbs of muzzle energy. there is also something like the FK BRNO in 7.5FK. a 95 jhp has a velocity of 2000 fps and muzzle energy of 850 ft-lbs. at 90 meters it is still going 1610 fps and has 548 ft-lbs of energy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast