Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Setting up AR15 for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    There you go. I figured SOMEONE made them, but the only ones I had ever seen were the $18 Chinese ones, and I wasn't going to suggest those.
    They also have tritium posts for A2 front sights.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022621841

Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Allegheny County)

I'm a fan of Streamlight as the 'entry level' of 'quality' lights. I went for the 1,000 lumen one, but the 500 lumen one works well too (depends on how far out you want to see.) High up the food chain are Surefire, Cloud, Modlite, etc. The base that comes with the light stands up a bit high so I picked up an Arisaka mount. Gets the light to really hug the rail, also angled options (Haley Strategic thorntail mount another option.) For attaching the pressure pad, it comes with plastic bits that kinda work. I went for a Cloud Defensive light switch mount as an upgrade. It's very sturdy and works for wrapping up extra cords as well.

For night sights, not that they aren't cool (have some), but really, if you're running a decently powerful light it'll wash out the glow in the dark bits anyways.

For slings, any 2 point really: Viking, Vicker's, Haley, etc...

Also for slings, may want to add a money band or Sentry Strap to keep it up and on the side and not flopping around, getting caught on things.

(Washington County)

I think the two items you should be most concerned with are a light and a suppressor. You can't shoot what you can't see.

The thought of throwing on ear pro before going to check on that bump in the night is nice and all but...

Anyways, that won't help your family members who will have their ear drums ruptured when you open up on a home invader with your AR.

I wouldn't worry about the night sights. Odds of you seeing any sights at home defense shooting distances are slim.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Anyways, that won't help your family members who will have their ear drums ruptured when you open up on a home invader with your AR.
    I'm deaf, bad guy's deaf, rest of the family is deaf...everyone's having a bad time.

(Allegheny County)

Just a thought....consider putting motion detection lights around the inside of your house. They're handy in general - and can help in the situation you are concerning yourself with.

(Allegheny County)

I'm thinking "You'll become permanently DEAF" is internet vomit, much the way "having a light will just get you shot" is.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

I've had probably a dozen incidents of being exposed to gunfire in what would amount to being in a room. Some ar, some pistol and a couple high explosive incidents for good measure. My last hearing test was about 10 years ago. It was explained to me I hear about 11% of what people with normal hearing get with one the ear and about 17% in the other.

That's over an adult career of exposure to firearms and other over pressure events. If you have somewhat normal hearing and you're somewhere around middle age you probably will not fire enough rounds in anger in confined spaces to go deaf. And even if you do, hearing aids are your friend. Sticking a suppressor on your ar house gun would help a lot. In confined spaces, 5.56 with a suppressor is still pretty loud but far less than un-suppressed.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Washington County)

I've been around an unsuppressed AR outdoors plenty of times, and the ringing was not enjoyable.

If you absolutely will never ever buy a suppressor I understand.

But I consider them as obviously useful and justified as a red dot for aiming.

It cannot be disputed that a suppressor makes a gun quieter and therefore helps mitigate hearing damage.

Necessity for indoor use is certainly debatable, but not for me.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Wyoming County)

I just bought myself a new 7.5" .300blk upper for christmas. 90% of the time I shoot suppressed (without ear pro) but I like to function test everything first before I throw my can on it. Well I forgot to put my ear pro on and WOW did that hurt (it was outside thank dog)
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; February 8th, 2023 at 05:24 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Philadelphia County)

Ive been debating these exact issues internally for some time; considering my house layout/ neighbor-proximity and then noise of AR sub 10.5" (I run a FM15 9inch cheekweld), I decided that the AR chambered in 223/556 was not a good HD option... the proximity of neighbors couldn't be under-estimated for me and the noise solidified the decision

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast