Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default CAD users: can anyone make up a file for me?

Im looking to mill out a project, but need a cnc file to do it. Havent touched CAD since Autodesk95 and never got too deep into it.

Anybody here good with CAD that can help whip something up? Happily throw some $/beverages/tasty german butcher goodies for the assistance. If it doesnt work out, no big deal. Its more of a “lets see if this works” project since theres nothing out there like this.
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; February 6th, 2023 at 01:09 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: CAD users: can anyone make up a file for me?

Are you sure what you're asking? If you have the dimensions to give to someone to make you a CAD file, which is basically a print, you pretty much already have the coordinates needed for something like a simple 2D contour/profile on a CNC machine.

If you're talking about a program (CNC) file for a CNC machine, there are specific formats for each different control manufacturer, but the 'guts' of the program are pretty much the same, unless you're talking Mazak, Siemens, or a couple others.

Of course as the geometry of the part becomes more complex, the CAD file and NC program also become much more complex.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Are you sure what you're asking? If you have the dimensions to give to someone to make you a CAD file, which is basically a print, you pretty much already have the coordinates needed for something like a simple 2D contour/profile on a CNC machine.

If you're talking about a program (CNC) file for a CNC machine, there are specific formats for each different control manufacturer, but the 'guts' of the program are pretty much the same, unless you're talking Mazak, Siemens, or a couple others.

Of course as the geometry of the part becomes more complex, the CAD file and NC program also become much more complex.
    I need some sort of blueprint file for printing/milling (guess that would be a program file lol). Think sig p320 rail module, but for ruger. Probably a 3d file to run off a machine. First set would probably end up being 3d printed for fitting, with final set being 17-4 or 15-5 steel instead of the genius use of thin aluminum. Call em rook rails for an Elsie . They are prone to cracking so why not try to improve them? This builds on my steel replacement pins idea from last year in the ec9s.

I considered playing with a couple 3d scanning apps or picking up a cheap 3d scanning setup from chinazon, but not familiar enough and it still seems pretty new/developing tech.

I can probably get micrometer measurements down to .00x to pass on. Id even go so far as to ask access to and guidance while i put everything into the program myself. More or less just someone to help me navigate the software

I know….Its a $200 budget gun and i can buy one used for as low as $150. But wheres the fun in that?

Shelving this project awhile til i can learn solidworks . Thanks guys, appreciate the input