Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Marijuana Law against Gun Ownership Unconstitutional

You guys are missing the main point. Weed was made illegal, on the federal level in the 1950s, then in 1970, it was given it's current classification of a Schedule II narcotic. What happened in the 1970s was that more people started experimenting with MJ and the feds couldn't control AND TAX a weed that anyone could grow in their back yard.

Look at the main justification .gov uses for legalization. They still can't control who grows it in their backyard but, they can TAX the MJ sold through licensed dispenseries.

FOLLOW THE MONEY, IT WILL LEAD YOU TO THE TRUTH EVERY TIME.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    You guys are missing the main point. Weed was made illegal, on the federal level in the 1950s, then in 1970, it was given it's current classification of a Schedule II narcotic. [/SIZE]
    When did they change it from a schedule 1?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    The problem is todays pot is far different than that of the stoner 60's. It's been genetically modified and manipulated. The human brain isn't fully developed until around age 26 and as seen here sometimes later. In the developing brain pot can lead to panic attacks, depression, and other mental health problems, not to mention increased anxiety.
    Using pot in the long term has been linked to increased risk of psychosis ,schizophrenia, dementia and hallucinations.
    Although it isn't nearly as addictive as alcohol or opioids it is addictive and also the user grows a tolerance.
    Then consider how pot is generally used. The vast majority of users smoke regularly if not daily as opposed to many alcoholics that may function all week without but binge on a weekend.

There are many benefits to medical pot but IMHO we don't know enough to legalize it recreationally.
    In my high school class of about 105, graduating in 1976, about 100 of us were stoners. That was at a private school and I was one of them. Having been there and done that, I can safely say that you are way far off base with your entire rant there with the possible exception of today's weed. If I was going to suffer from depression, mental health issues or anxiety (which I would say I had as a yute), they would have all come from the hell hole I had to live in until I was 18.

Q: Do you know the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned driver?
    A: The drunk driver is doing 60 MPH and weaving and the stoner is doing 20 MPH and weaving.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    You guys are missing the main point. Weed was made illegal, on the federal level in the 1950s, then in 1970, it was given it's current classification of a Schedule II narcotic. What happened in the 1970s was that more people started experimenting with MJ and the feds couldn't control AND TAX a weed that anyone could grow in their back yard.

Look at the main justification .gov uses for legalization. They still can't control who grows it in their backyard but, they can TAX the MJ sold through licensed dispenseries.

FOLLOW THE MONEY, IT WILL LEAD YOU TO THE TRUTH EVERY TIME.
    And I believe that this was mainly due to the Vietnam vets, who were coming home and smoking it. JMO

The problem is todays pot is far different than that of the stoner 60's. It's been genetically modified and manipulated. The human brain isn't fully developed until around age 26 and as seen here sometimes later. In the developing brain pot can lead to panic attacks, depression, and other mental health problems, not to mention increased anxiety.
    Using pot in the long term has been linked to increased risk of psychosis ,schizophrenia, dementia and hallucinations.
    Although it isn't nearly as addictive as alcohol or opioids it is addictive and also the user grows a tolerance.
    Then consider how pot is generally used. The vast majority of users smoke regularly if not daily as opposed to many alcoholics that may function all week without but binge on a weekend.

There are many benefits to medical pot but IMHO we don't know enough to legalize it recreationally.
    I haven't really kept up, but I guess it was inevitable that it'd get to be genetically engineered & cut with other substances. Back in the 60's when I was stationed in CA, Mexican pot was supposed to be the best, while some types of CA pot were better than others.

My sister lives on the left coast & a few years ago she gave me some "edibles" for Christmas. They were like a Reeses peanut butter cup, but dryer & not nearly as good. I ate half of one as an experiment while watching tv one evening & promptly fell asleep. So while I'm in favor of legalising mj, and regulating it something like alcohol, it'd be totally wasted on me. (Yeah, that's a pun.)
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Chester County)

When did they change it from a schedule 1?
    My mistake, MJ is schedule 1, not schedule II.

They need to get better testing, like being able to tell ir you are currently stoned vs used it a day or 2 ago. At work we have had several new hires that think they can smoke/vape weed at break time just because they have a card....

(Lycoming County)

What about the stoner 90's? I remember this same argument back then and nothing has changed except it's even more widely accepted (and it was pretty widely accepted then). With your background you know that "functional alcoholics" aren't just drinking on the weekends too. They may start out that way, but that's not going to last long until it's a daily thing. They may sober up for work (hence the functional part), but they're cracking one open as soon as it's quitting time. The physical addiction to alcohol by somebody like that isn't going to take a 5 day break. Luckily MJ doesn't have that component to it. There is no physical addiction like with alcohol only a possible mental one.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    What about the stoner 90's? I remember this same argument back then and nothing has changed except it's even more widely accepted (and it was pretty widely accepted then). With your background you know that "functional alcoholics" aren't just drinking on the weekends too. They may start out that way, but that's not going to last long until it's a daily thing. They may sober up for work (hence the functional part), but they're cracking one open as soon as it's quitting time. The physical addiction to alcohol by somebody like that isn't going to take a 5 day break. Luckily MJ doesn't have that component to it. There is no physical addiction like with alcohol only a possible mental one.
    How does one go about getting addicted to alcohol? I've been on some pretty good binges and never had any trouble not drinking when it came time to get back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I know a boatload of stoners aceoss a wide spectrum of ages. There's only one that comes to mind as successful on a level that matches his ability. How he does it, I don't know as he's an everyday, multiple times a day, pothead.

The rest of 'em are either holding their own or living in mom's basement. The ones just making it are performing far below their capabilities. So, no. From my prospective the vast majority are entitled, unmotivated and lazy.

It seems, the issue is moderation. With modern pot, there just doesn't seem to be any "just on the weekend" types anywhere. It appears modern pot is so powerful, folks just need to be high all the time.
    Exactly, you know a boat load of "Stoners". I'm willing to bet money there are plenty of successful people you also know that use it recreationally that you'd never guess. These are the people that won't tell you they smoke, won't smoke around you and do it behind closed doors for recreation like having a cold beer after work.

Did you ever stop and think maybe these people don't tell you because they know you think it's bad? Why would they volunteer that information to you or openly do it around you knowing you don't like it?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast