Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Projectile for 5" gun

So I run a recycling center and a customer left this in my steel pile. I think it kind of cool and would like to restore it. Few concerns though. First, am I allowed to have it? If not, who do I call? Second, is it safe to handle? I'm also not really understanding what I have. The mk44 is a 30mm belt fed, the mk45 is a 5" projectile. Do I have a misprint?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jGTZnHHTbeLgLjDv6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QcZgSLT6uLHpZjL3A

Default Re: Projectile for 5" gun

Quote Originally Posted by jackandstacey View Post
    So I run a recycling center and a customer left this in my steel pile. I think it kind of cool and would like to restore it. Few concerns though. First, am I allowed to have it? If not, who do I call? Second, is it safe to handle? I'm also not really understanding what I have. The mk44 is a 30mm belt fed, the mk45 is a 5" projectile. Do I have a misprint?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jGTZnHHTbeLgLjDv6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QcZgSLT6uLHpZjL3A
    I wouldn't bang on top of it with a hammer.
    I would probably call the bomb squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

I have one in my basement but its inert.

is there a gas station near me

And I have one of these. Just in case the atf shows up to confiscate my arm brace.

FJB

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I have one in my basement but its inert.]
    How can you tell it's inert? Is there a way to check or are you just taking the last guy's word on it?

(Allegheny County)

You're gonna die

(Washington County)

Based on my googling, this appears to be an illumination round. A fuze in the nose would have a small HE booster charge that would activate a black powder ejection charge which ignites and ejects the illumination material. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty confident it is a US Navy round.

It's not as dangerous as an HE shell but it could possibly contain a small amount of HE material in the fuze, which you may not possess without the appropriate license and could be potentially dangerous. Otherwise, if it is inert you may possess it. That doesn't mean a police officer who happens to enter your home for some reason will see it that way. That is always a concern for inert ordnance collectors.

Is the bottom of the shell open? This is where the illumination material would of been ejected, indicating it has been fired or it was never loaded.

I would assume this shell was never fired because it has no barrel rifling engraved into the shell's driving band, which is the ring of material that has the numbering stamped into it.

Ordnance you can buy is sold as inert, because it was declared inert by someone with the ability to do so.

With this item, you don't know if it is inert, or if it will discharge white hot illumination material when it gets dropped or charged with static electricity and burn your house down, unless you can use common sense to determine if it is safe. But that is up to you. Obviously it has been around for a long time and hasn't done anything, but every now and then a civil war cannon ball kills someone in the US.

If you decide to get rid of it, place it outside in your yard, and notify your local police department. They will take it from there. It will either be a fast and simple process or it won't be. People do this fairly often, but maybe not in your area. I have heard everything from "the local cop just tossed it in his trunk and drove away" to "they evacuated the neighborhood and detonated it in place".

DO NOT dump it somewhere else and make it someone else's problem.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I have one in my basement but its inert.

is there a gas station near me

And I have one of these. Just in case the atf shows up to confiscate my arm brace.

No one cares about that RPG round but that pressure cooker.

(Bucks County)

That big one by the potential bomb pressure cooker is inert. You can see it's been X'd out.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Washington County)

I think the red triangle is the inert/safe marking applied by Poland, or that is what I recall from reading Bowman's advertisements. He imports a lot of stuff with that marking.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

That pressure cooker is NOT registered. I cant believe I even took a picture of it. Wait, someone is at the door.
    FJB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast