Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Projectile for 5" gun

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    There shouldn*t even be a question. If it*s not immediately obvious it*s inert, it*s potential uxo.
    Get it the f outside and call the cops.
    Even IF it*s only a lume, it*ll burn your house down and probably kill you if you*re close.
    Did you put it in your car and bring it home?
    You*re a Mensa candidate for sure.
    Thank you for your helpful advise. I deal with a lot of LEO's running a scrap yard. I have shown it to many of them and have never gotten an answer as to what to do with it. That is why I brought it here to the forum. This was about to be tossed over the side of a dumpster to fall 10' down to the steel dumpster floor. Then would be sent to the mill where it would be fed into a shredder. I'm trying to do the responsible thing

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by jackandstacey View Post
    .... Then would be sent to the mill where it would be fed into a shredder. I'm trying to do the responsible thing
    I wouldn't send that to a shredder, you could be putting their worker's lives at risk. The responsible thing is to put that baby in your front yard and call your non-emergency 911 number to report a "Probably inert 5-inch shell, but maybe not." Then plan on spending the next 4 hours away from your house.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public

I just read your sig line...............

So i can bring my cannon? All 4? Kinda a haul from me, but you reeled me in with the bowling ball motar.....

So im not hijacking thread, yes that could be dangerous, i could stop up and take it off your hands ��. I would say dep of defense, should be able to be the end product to talk to , I dont like that it isnt drilled in base. They made my buddy, torch cut the 151mutts. There are de mil rules, im with the others, it was found from a metal detector.
    The joys of scrap yards, propane tanks, oxegen and other tanks, that want to kill the sheer crane opetators. Best of luck,
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jackandstacey View Post
    Thank you for your helpful advise. I deal with a lot of LEO's running a scrap yard. I have shown it to many of them and have never gotten an answer as to what to do with it. That is why I brought it here to the forum. This was about to be tossed over the side of a dumpster to fall 10' down to the steel dumpster floor. Then would be sent to the mill where it would be fed into a shredder. I'm trying to do the responsible thing
    The responsible thing would have been not to accept it in your scrap yard. Failing that, leave in place and call the cops- let them sort it out. Think about it, you put it in a vehicle, and drove it home (endangering every person you got close to). Probably the least responsible was asking your cop friends what to do with it. Asking cops for advice ranks somewhere slightly below asking gun store counter help what type of pistol to buy.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

I missed were op, said he took it home
    I see his workplace scale in window
    I saw him say, hes showed to police,
    Probally stopping in his workplace.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

If I had the property, I'd definitely shoot it. Driving around/handling it would make me nervous though.
    FJB

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by justsayno View Post
    I missed were op, said he took it home
    I see his workplace scale in window
    I saw him say, hes showed to police,
    Probally stopping in his workplace.
    Thank you for noticing. Yes this is still at work. I've had this thing sitting in my office for over a decade. I've always thought this was just a solid projectile that was already fired from it's casing. After seeing that diagram, I don't think I want mess around with it.

Justsayno, if you're serious and want it, it's all yours.

cdi, I don't know if you have ever been to a scrap yard, but I deal with hundreds of trucks bringing in thousands of pounds of metal everyday. It is nearly impossible to catch everything that comes through here. As far as my cop "friends", I never called them friends. They come in as customers or to inquire about stolen material. The officers that run the training center come in about once a month with their range brass. They have taken pictures to ask around but never got an answer. I don't see how calling the same cop that just left here is going to change their ability to handle the situation.

What scrap yard do you work at?
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

More importantly, what's the going rate on fired brass?

(Bucks County)

There*s a world of difference between what a cop might say as an opinion and what he would actually do if he caught this call from dispatch.
    And, (sigh) I*ll just consider the goal posts moved cause it*s been sitting in your office for a decade. That doesn*t make it any less dangerous though.

I don*t have much experience in the scrapyard but I do have a little experience being blown up with high explosive. I suppose that*s why I got a little wrapped around the axle at your tale.
    Fwiw, it was the most violent experience I*ve ever had, and I*ve spent my entire adult life in the world of institutional violence.
    That big uxo paper weight needs to be addressed before something potentially very bad and irrevocable happens.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast