Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Guidance request: These Hi-Tek .45 bullets I was given.

As I mentioned a couple months back, one of my best reloading/shooting buddies passed away back in '21. Out of respect for him, I stay in touch with his wife (now 76) and help her out if she needs anything.

So last year the water heater tripped a breaker. Simple fix. During my visit she gave me a box of "Hi-Tek" .45s she found. Shiney gold color. 230Grnrs. Round nose.

I've been shooting my own cast bullets for a long time with very good results. Sizing .45s to .452 works very well in two different pistols. I prefer KISS methods. Wheel weights and range scrap, I used to lubrisize till I discovered tumble lube. Point being - I know nothing about these things.

I currently load my cast 200Gr SWCs to around 1080ft/s with CFE Pistol. Again, sized to .452. Barrel slugs at .450.

Now these Hi-Teks. They are running .4535. Shoot them? Size them? Will sizing destroy the "Hi-Tek" coating??

I found the distributor they came from. Info says: "Recommended Velocities under 2,000 fps" (That is a clip and paste). Gee, ya think?

Hodgedon has no load data for this type of bullet - nor does anyone else.

Also, one of the reasons I just cast my own - these Hi-tek wonders vary in weight by as much as 17 grains - not that many at the far ends but still! (Forgot to mention. They are 230 grain bullets - allegedly)

I know a lot of you guys play around with the powder coating process. I thought about throwing them in the pot and just re casting them, but I don't want to end up with a case of Hi-Tek lung cancer.

Any thought are appreciated.

fritz.

(I know, yes I'm out of the loop on this new ways shit. But I'm sure my old ways shit groups would impress you. )

Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Guidance request: These Hi-Tek .45 bullets I was given.

I've never powder coated but have melted some, including some I consider coated with Hi-tek from their looks.
    In my experience the coating will float to the top of the mix. Flux and remove.
    Smoke will be given off as it melts. I have a small work room in my garage and have an oven hood over my casting booth to vent to the outside.
    If your considering doing it inside your house I'd take it outside.
    For me a 17 grain difference in a manufactured cast bullet seems like quite a bit, and most manufactures have settled on .452 sizing.
    Makes me wonder about the maker. Curious as to the BHN.
    Early on before I got into sizing I know I dropped many .453" soft bullets and shot them. Now all are sized.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Cumberland County)

I was just joking about the hi tek lung cancer. I do all my casting outside and have become a pro at avoiding the stank of chewing tobacco to axel grease. Agree also on the sizing. I've squeezed my share of .453+/- down the bore but .452 really shoots well for me.

On the weight....I think this is why they were stashed away till recently. By buddy was also a cast bullet purist. I could hear him saying "Hi-Tek my ass." Someone else may have even given them to him. Maybe they were seconds. ??

Hopefully someone will come along and advise me to just shoot them like lead - charge weight speaking.

Thanks for your reply.

(Washington County)

Hi Tek brand bullets are very popular. I haven't used them but I've used several other brands (I've loaded something north of 30k coated pistol bullets). I have never sized any of them, or even measured them for that matter. I stick to cast bullet data for loading coated bullets and balance it out with what people are doing on the forums, mainly the brian enos forum.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Hi Tek and powdercoat are 2 different processes. Powdercoat is powder and hi tek is a liquid. I powder coat. High tec involves mixing stinky liquids. It's generally accepted that hi tek is better.

The coating shouldn't come off during sizing. If it does it wasn't done right.

As far as velocity you can probably push them as fast as you want. As far as weight variations thats up to you.

(Dauphin County)

Send a pm to DucatiRon. He casts bullets and coats with Hy Tek. He may be able to offer advice on sizing/swaging to .452, or shooting as is.

(Susquehanna County)

I've been using DucatiRon's Hy-Telk coated bullets for a few years now. 9mm, .38, .45 never a problem or issue. My .45 stuff is in two sizes 0.452' for use in my semis and 0.454 for use in my Model 25-2 with its over-sized throats.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Cumberland County)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Been bangin away with everything but the .45 lately. I'll load some up and see at the first chance I get. I'll let ya'll know how they work out. I might just find a reason to hang up my 6 cavity.

PS: For those who may have seen the earlier part of this story, the cigars were great!