Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How to ship a handgun to my daughter in another state legally ?

Hello everyone.

My daughter is attending college out in Colorado for the next 2 years. I have her revolver and she would like me to send it to her.

She has her PA concealled carry permit and is a PA resident. She doesn't plan on changing her state residency as she will be moving back to PA after graduation. I also read where Colorada is a resiprocating state that honors our PA CCW licenses. And I know it needs to be shipped to an FFL dealer as well.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
    Rich

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: How to ship a handgun to my daughter in another state legally ?

I believe if you want to ship it to her, even though it may technically be her gun, it would still have to be shipped to an FFL and she would have to pass a BGC to take possession of it. When will you be in CO, or when will she be in PA again?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Chester County)

With the recent changes to their tariffs, UPS and FedEx will not accept shipments from unlicensed individuals. USPS, by regulation, will not accept handguns from non-FFLs. You would need the shipment to originate from a local PA FFL to the CO FFL.

Since she is over 21 (has LTCF) the easiest thing would be for her to buy a handgun from her local CO FFL as she is considered a CO resident for Federal firearm law purposes. When she moves back to Pa she can bring the new handgun with her.
    IANAL

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    With the recent changes to their tariffs, UPS and FedEx will not accept shipments from unlicensed individuals. USPS, by regulation, will not accept handguns from non-FFLs. You would need the shipment to originate from a local PA FFL to the CO FFL.

Since she is over 21 (has LTCF) the easiest thing would be for her to buy a handgun from her local CO FFL as she is considered a CO resident for Federal firearm law purposes. When she moves back to Pa she can bring the new handgun with her.
    Am I correct in thinking then, that since it would have to go to an FFL in CO, she would need to pass a BGC to receive it? There's no way around that, is there?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Am I correct in thinking then, that since it would have to go to an FFL in CO, she would need to pass a BGC to receive it? There's no way around that, is there?
    Correct.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Is she out there already? The easiest way IMO is to bring it on the plane in checked luggage either her going out there or you visiting.

She can bring it with her each and every time she fly's back and forth. Just have to pay for a checked bag.

(Allegheny County)

When she was home a few weeks ago we looked into her claiming them in her luggage.
    But then she read there will probably be a 1/2 hr delay when departing and then another 1/2 hr delay when arriving. She asked if I could just ship them to her.

I called my FFL and he said no problem he can ship them to an FFL in Colorado. Then I did some research and everything came up positive about shipping them out there as well.

I need to call her local FFL and see what they say.

I do like the idea about buying her a new one, but she is still a PA resident.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rich e View Post
    When she was home a few weeks ago we looked into her claiming them in her luggage.
    But then she read there will probably be a 1/2 hr delay when departing and then another 1/2 hr delay when arriving. She asked if I could just ship them to her.

I called my FFL and he said no problem he can ship them to an FFL in Colorado. Then I did some research and everything came up positive about shipping them out there as well.

I need to call her local FFL and see what they say.

I do like the idea about buying her a new one, but she is still a PA resident.
    The only real delay at the airport is, you must check-in at the counter to declare the firearm in the checked luggage, and you must wait for the luggage to be unloaded and transported to the pick-up area. If she is checking a bag already, there is no added time.

Regarding the bolded part, refer back to post #3 by tl_3237.

(Northampton County)

I thought you could ship a handgun to yourself without going through an FFL. Maybe that has changed?

(Chester County)

Dad could always hand deliver it.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast