Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 2023 Autoshow-metal detectors

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Those shows cost the vendors a boatload of money and I'm sure it's gone up since last year. I reckon that the cost vs benefit ratio has gone out of whack. Everywhere you look, the squeeze is coming on strong. Smaller portions, higher prices, no more extras when you buy something. No facet of our lives shall be spared.
    The vendors with the deeper pockets were the ones that weren't there. Mercedes, BMW, Tesla, Audi, Cadillac, Infiniti, and Acura - none of them were there. Mazda and Hyundai weren't there either. It was a pathetic show. With that many manufacturers missing, they should have cancelled the show. It's also on me for not checking the exhibitor list. I usually do, but for some reason, I didn't this year.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The vendors with the deeper pockets were the ones that weren't there. Mercedes, BMW, Tesla, Audi, Cadillac, Infiniti, and Acura - none of them were there. Mazda and Hyundai weren't there either. It was a pathetic show. With that many manufacturers missing, they should have cancelled the show. It's also on me for not checking the exhibitor list. I usually do, but for some reason, I didn't this year.
    Deep pockets or not, any intelligent business model will scrutinize cost vs return and react accordingly. I'd love to hear what it costs one of them to have a display with five vehicles in it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

its not just Philly thats had the issue. lot of manufacturers have been bailing on auto shows in the last couple of years. in the case of the really high end cars, its local dealers that provided the cars not the manufacturer like Ferrari.

(Chester County)

What business in their right mind would take expensive cars or other equipment to the lawless streets of Philadelphia. What employee would go? The Auto Show company needs to move the show to Oaks where there is parking and no need for metal detectors because everyone is carrying. I went to the model train show two weeks ago and there no metal detectors. As I discussed with a friend I go fishing with and the other boomer things we do there is no reason for us to go to Philly for anything anymore, Car Show, Flower Show, Christmas Village, Thanksgiving Dinner at City Tavern, Stolen Art from the Barnes Foundation, Engine 60,000 at the Franklin Institute, nothing.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

For years, I videotaped the Philly show at its busiest days for the Philly ADA to make a video to help them sell the show to the manufacturers. I'm talking all the way back to the other convention center times. Seems they have always been trying to get better displays, more manufacturers. The really high end stuff is brought in by a local dealer. Part of the problem used to be the date being so close to another, larger show. Perhaps Detroit?

As a real car guy, I have no interest in going to the show, dealing with parking, etc. Quite frankly, it's gotten to the point that there's almost nothing worth going to city.

Going even more off topic....I had my '72 in the Buckingham Concours display there a number of years ago. What a cluster. Never again. Besides the aggravation of dropping the car off before the show...the melee to pick the car up when the show was over was even worse. Like a free for all. When the show was over on that Sunday, they simply dropped the ropes and started moving stuff out with spectators still wandering around. I was lucky to have a friend also picking up a car that held a spot under the overpass so that I could load the car without being out in the snow.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    What business in their right mind would take expensive cars or other equipment to the lawless streets of Philadelphia. What employee would go? The Auto Show company needs to move the show to Oaks where there is parking and no need for metal detectors because everyone is carrying. I went to the model train show two weeks ago and there no metal detectors. As I discussed with a friend I go fishing with and the other boomer things we do there is no reason for us to go to Philly for anything anymore, Car Show, Flower Show, Christmas Village, Thanksgiving Dinner at City Tavern, Stolen Art from the Barnes Foundation, Engine 60,000 at the Franklin Institute, nothing.

Damn Jen. You make Center City seem worse than downtown Afghanistan. While I can*t stand what the politician and progressives have done to big cities and I can*t say Philadelphia is a safe place to travel without being super aware of your surroundings, it is not like they are driving million dollar cars thru Kensington.

People still come to Philadelphia because of things that are in Philadelphia. You are not going to find the Liberty Bell in Oaks.

We still travel to Baltimore and NYC to see things that are there and to eat and drink at restaurants that are there. I refuse to let criminal aholes deprive me of my fun, excitement, enjoyment and adventure.

If you are that scared, by all means stay home. It*s probably safer in your basement.

(Philadelphia County)

The car club that I used to be involved with has a display there this year.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    For years, I videotaped the Philly show at its busiest days for the Philly ADA to make a video to help them sell the show to the manufacturers. I'm talking all the way back to the other convention center times. Seems they have always been trying to get better displays, more manufacturers. The really high end stuff is brought in by a local dealer. Part of the problem used to be the date being so close to another, larger show. Perhaps Detroit?

As a real car guy, I have no interest in going to the show, dealing with parking, etc. Quite frankly, it's gotten to the point that there's almost nothing worth going to city.

Going even more off topic....I had my '72 in the Buckingham Concours display there a number of years ago. What a cluster. Never again. Besides the aggravation of dropping the car off before the show...the melee to pick the car up when the show was over was even worse. Like a free for all. When the show was over on that Sunday, they simply dropped the ropes and started moving stuff out with spectators still wandering around. I was lucky to have a friend also picking up a car that held a spot under the overpass so that I could load the car without being out in the snow.
    Your *72 what ?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Damn Jen. You make Center City seem worse than downtown Afghanistan. While I can*t stand what the politician and progressives have done to big cities and I can*t say Philadelphia is a safe place to travel without being super aware of your surroundings, it is not like they are driving million dollar cars thru Kensington.

People still come to Philadelphia because of things that are in Philadelphia. You are not going to find the Liberty Bell in Oaks.

We still travel to Baltimore and NYC to see things that are there and to eat and drink at restaurants that are there. I refuse to let criminal aholes deprive me of my fun, excitement, enjoyment and adventure.

If you are that scared, by all means stay home. It*s probably safer in your basement.
    You can carry in those areas, most of us can't legally. I wouldn't go to NYC now with the random stuff going on. Most of Baltimore is crap except for the inner harbor and a few other spots but there is a decent police presence in the area.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Your *72 what ?
    '72 Plymouth Scamp, bought new by my Grandma. I restored it about 20 years ago, now. It's been in the garage where I lived since 1974 - we grew up together. I've owned the car for 30 years.IMG_0815.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast