Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Lasic for shooters?

Hey Troops,

Got a question…., I’m 56 and been shooting all my life, and have been having issues the last few years picking up my front sight
    In sharp focus…. (In fact it is kinda a blurry mess!). I have been switching many of my handguns to green/red dot, which helps a lot….but it bothers me that I can’t shoot as well as I did just a few years ago with irons. I know ya have to manage expectations as you get older, But I’m wondering of those that have had Lasic, does it improve your ability to focus on you pistols front sight? I’m a type two…. So I’m not sure I am even eligible for lasic…. I have only been wearing glasses for five or six years…. And was 20/20 for most of my life…. I’m told my insurance now cover it…. So thinking about living large!

Thanks!
    Fred
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Berks County)

Default Re: Lasic for shooters?

Quote Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
    Hey Troops,

Got a question*., I*m 56 and been shooting all my life, and have been having issues the last few years picking up my front sight
    In sharp focus*. (In fact it is kinda a blurry mess!). I have been switching many of my handguns to green/red dot, which helps a lot*.but it bothers me that I can*t shoot as well as I did just a few years ago with irons. I know ya have to manage expectations as you get older, But I*m wondering of those that have had Lasic, does it improve your ability to focus on you pistols front sight? I*m a type two*. So I*m not sure I am even eligible for lasic*. I have only been wearing glasses for five or six years*. And was 20/20 for most of my life*. I*m told my insurance now cover it*. So thinking about living large!

Thanks!
    Fred
    LOL Welcome to aging 101. Wait 'til you're in your 60s.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I wore glasses for 30 years, i had 20/400 vision. I had lasik v5 in dec 2021. Recovery was 4 months before i could comfortably look at a computer screen, it was brutal. I couldn't open my eyes for a full week. Now that everything is healed, everything is amazing, i have 20/10 vision, and I can focus easily on the sights. The only strange thing is having to wear safety glasses at the range.

(Montgomery County)

One of my cousins had it done. He has had good results with it. He shoots mostly shotguns but says he picks the front bead and clay birds better now.

(Westmoreland County)

Another option, without the surgery. I've heard that if you get eyeglasses with bifocals at the top of lenses, it can make a difference with focusing on the sight. I've heard this from at least two guys. But obviously it depends on your own vision issues, near sighted, far sighted, etc. It might not work for everyone.

(Washington County)

Another option, learn target focused shooting (with a handgun), it's gaining traction with more competition shooters.

I had PRK done about 10 years ago, I just wish I had done it sooner.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Another option, learn target focused shooting (with a handgun), it's gaining traction with more competition shooters.

I had PRK done about 10 years ago, I just wish I had done it sooner.
    I have not thought about trying that. I worry though that when your eyes get old (I'm 58) that focusing on the target results in the front sight being so blurry that I will not see it at all. I'll definately try it though.

(Lycoming County)

I had my LASIC done in 2002 at 47 years old I was blind as a bat and had bad astigmatism and haven*t had an issue and was glad I still needed reading glasses but for normal vision driving etc. I*m fine.
    Jump ahead 21 years I'm still happy I wear trifocals now because I have a computer job and the readers just weren*t doing the job any more at the 18" range driving and everything else I don*t need any correction reading in the bottom, middle for the computer, top no correction.

A key discussion with you doctor is the text size and focal length you want to work. (or in your cast sight size and distance to it)
    I measured text on screen with a ruler and from my eye to screen and told him I need to see clearly at that point.
    He suggested bifocals I tried them they didn't work for me hence the tri's with no magnification on top was the ticket.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have not thought about trying that. I worry though that when your eyes get old (I'm 58) that focusing on the target results in the front sight being so blurry that I will not see it at all. I'll definately try it though.

Shoot a dot