Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do I need to do to build an AR pistol on existing or new stripped receiver?

Never built an AR under 16", but have a couple built lowers and have an extra stripped lower. What exactly do I need to go to legally put a pistol length barrel under 16" on a lower either new or existing? Secondly, can I have a regular stock on the receiver such as Magpul UBR as an example?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What do I need to do to build an AR pistol on existing or new stripped receiver?

Ask the atf.
    Today was a good day!

Default Re: What do I need to do to build an AR pistol on existing or new stripped receiver?

If you put a "regular stock" on a receiver that's got a <16" barrel without getting SBR paperwork done and approved with the ATF first, you're looking at a big time felony. Go directly to jail, for 10 years, plus a buttload of fines. Don't do it.

Not sure what you mean by "built lowers." But you can't make a rifle into a pistol without filing SBR paperwork as well. Again, big no-no.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-...tering-firearm

Honestly, you should try to do some private Googling about what's legal and what's not as a basic reference point before you post on a public forum. Now is not a good time to make potentially incriminating statements online.

Smart would also be to hold off on making anything with a barrel less than 16" until the pistol brace rule is clarified. If you've got an itch/need for a new gun, just build a rifle.

(Allegheny County)

Have you been living under a rock?

The ATF has changed their minds about some things - things they aren't really being clear about.
    Right now is not the time to be building AR15 pistols - not until they tell us what is legal and what isn't.

And no, you were NEVER allowed to put a stock on a pistol.

And you can't put a pistol upper on a lower that started out as a rifle.

If this is all new to you, this thread will probably make your head explode, but yeah... you have a lot of catching up to do.
    https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=393903
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

This thread is a perfect example of how the feds are going to FUCK innocent gun owners up the ass with a freight train.
    SO many people are going to have NO IDEA that they are felons - until they are told why they can only speak to their families on a telephone, while separated by plexiglass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of how the feds are going to FUCK innocent gun owners up the ass with a freight train.
    SO many people are going to have NO IDEA that they are felons - until they are told why they can only speak to their families on a telephone, while separated by plexiglass.
    They are trying to make all of us like that.
    Today was a good day!

Have you been living under a rock?
    I thought he was a "plant" of some sort, until I saw that he has had at least one marketplace transaction.

exactly why I'm asking because i don't know. Nor do I already have something built and trying to cover my ass so I'm not a felon as of right now and didn't want to be in the future. If you could never put an actual stock on an AR with a barrel <16" and also can't have a brace, then it definitely seems like a big grey area right now. I'll just wait until it's more clear wtf you can do to be safe.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cjweaver13 View Post
    exactly why I'm asking because i don't know. Nor do I already have something built and trying to cover my ass so I'm not a felon as of right now and didn't want to be in the future. If you could never put an actual stock on an AR with a barrel <16" and also can't have a brace, then it definitely seems like a big grey area right now. I'll just wait until it's more clear wtf you can do to be safe.
    That's your best bet, unfortunately.
    As of a week or so ago, you could have taken that stripped/never built lower and built any sort of caliber pistol you wanted.
    NOW? Who the heck knows?
    I had wanted to build a 45ACP, but that's on indefinite hold.
    If you're the gambling type, you can buy all sorts of pistol parts CHEAP right now because vendors are deeply discounting them rather than being stuck with them if things don't shake out. It's not a gamble I'm willing to take just to save money.

Give it some time and watch how this all plays out.

(Lehigh County)

We're still living in the United States of America 🇺🇸 build what pleases you and always remember your history loose lips sink ship's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast