Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office

Heading in soon for a CCW renewal. Anyone been in recently that can advise on how busy they are these days and how much time I should allot?

Any new parking recommendations so I don’t have to give the city of Pittsburgh one more cent than I have to??

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office

I renewed last September. Was in and out. Biggest deal is parking. I just grabbed a garage as soon as I got there so I could get out as fast as possible. A friend went and got their first yesterday and we're in and out quick too.

(Allegheny County)

When my wife or I have to renew, one of us drops the "re-newer" off and circles around the block(s). Last time I was in and out before she made a complete circle (she did say that there was some construction going on). We don't do the downtown parking thingy...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

It's pretty quick. I found the first avenue garage (next to the t station) is pretty cheap and always has a ton of space. It's a 5 minute walk to the sheriff's office. Or you can look for a meter or pay 30 bucks for a lot on grant.

Last time was post covid craziness and it only took 20 minutes. You may have to wait outside so dress accordingly.

I don't think I even saw a sheriff. Just nice old ladies in the office.

Thanks, guys. I used to work in dahntahn for dozens of years but now it feels like I'm preparing for a pilgrimage just to make the trip. LOL

(Allegheny County)

Last year the Sheriff had renewal locations at public places (schools and fire halls) in various places in the county - on weekends. I renewed mine at the Cresent Twp. offices in October. I looked at the Sheriff web site and none were listed so far this year. May be worth a phone call. At the Twp. offices I parked (for free) 25 feet from the door and walked another 10 feet. There were half a dozen people processing applications at once. The whole process took 30 minutes and I was home 10 minutes later. Thank you Sheriff (and your staff) for this service. I hope he keeps doing this.

I made the pilgrimage into dahntahn this morning. Fast and easy.

I arrived around 10:30 and there were about 6-8 people waiting in the outer lobby. All must have been new applicants waiting for their cards as there was nobody in the inner room. Stepped in, very friendly service, they printed my new license right there and I was in and out in (well) under five minutes.

I parked in the open air lot at Forbes and Grant and it was "only" $10 for my very short stay.

All in all a painless and fast experience. This said, I'm with Mush that the satellite events are an even more convenient option if the timing works for you.

I think we are pretty lucky that the Allegheny County Sheriff takes this responsibility seriously and provides great service.

And just announced satellite event schedule:

foo.jpg