Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Rem 870

(Beaver County)

Default Rem 870

I'm having ejection issues with an older rem 870. I've replaced the extractor, plunger, and spring already. Has anyone had luck trying to re-bend the ejection spring? I'd like to try that before having a gunsmith replace it.

Default Re: Rem 870

Quote Originally Posted by ewaddell View Post
    I'm having ejection issues with an older rem 870. I've replaced the extractor, plunger, and spring already. Has anyone had luck trying to re-bend the ejection spring? I'd like to try that before having a gunsmith replace it.
    Double check and make sure that ejector tab isnt broken off at the front near the rivet. Not uncommon to find an older 870 that someone gorilla handed when installing a different barrel, snapping it off (since the tab sits in a cutout on the barrel)

If it is broken, it can be repaired by a gunsmith. Requires drilling out the rivets with a special tool and re-riveting/staking a new one in. It can be done DIY if you have some basic mechanical experience and dont mind having 2 spots on the receiver that arent parkerized/nitrided/blued

You could also try polishing the throat and installing a Volquartzen stainless steel extractor (heavier/sharper claw, non MIM part). Also give it a heavy duty strip and clean inside the receiver (pull stock/barrel/bolt). My 870 had issues until i cleaned all the gun grease and grit out of the receiver, behind the bolt.

I am reading that it IS extracting, but not ejecting? Check for a broken off ejector as stated above.

(Lancaster County)

Maybe I'm confused as well, are you asking to re-bend the ejector spring? They are spring steel and likely won't like being bent. You can replace the spring yourself but should have a staking tool to do it right. Here's a good reference to assist you:

https://www.rem870.com/2011/10/25/re...g-replacement/