Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Which Mossberg Combo?

I'm trying to decide between these two Mossberg combos:

The Field/Deer combo with a 28" smooth barrel and 24" rifled barrel with integrated scope: https://www.mossberg.com/500-combo-f...eer-58244.html

The Field/Security combo with a 28" and 18.5" smooth barrels: https://www.mossberg.com/500-combo-f...ity-54169.html

What I want is a gun that I can use for home defense and also to hunt pretty much anything if/when the SHTF (no plans for recreational hunting currently, but I want to be prepared for anything). Pricing is about the same for both, but if I bought the first combo I would also buy an 18.5" barrel separately because I think that's important for the HD part. I'm just not sure if the rifled barrel with the integrated scope is really needed - I know I can shoot slugs out of a smooth bore, so aside from the integrated scope, does the rifled barrel really get me any capability I wouldn't already have? The scope seems like a nice idea, but then I'd also have to spend another $150-200 for the short barrel, which I would already have if I just went with the other combo.

So help me decide:

Three barrels, 18.5", 28", 24" rifled w/scope: $700, or
    Two barrels, 18.5", 28": $550 (and spend the extra $150 on ammo)

Or stated simply: When the SHTF, would I rather have a rifled barrel with a scope, or an extra $150 worth of ammo?

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Which Mossberg Combo?

Probably don't need rifled slug barrel, the 18.5 cyl bore barrel or 28 in barrel with improved cyl choke will shoot rifled slugs good enough to hit a deer. Do that route, try a couple different types of rifled slugs, if you are happy, no need to buy extra barrel.

Get a screw in choke barrel with a rifled slug tube
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

I actually have 3 different barrels for my Mosberg 500. A shorter barrel for home defense, a smooth bore barrel and another smoothbore, slightly longer, that takes chokes.

I put a saddle mount on it so I can put a red dot.

https://www.mountsplus.com/weaver-no...500-mount.html

I would just go with the smoothbore barrel for shooting slugs. Mine's pretty accurate with the cheap slugs

Rifled barrels are really only good for sabot slugs that are way more expensive than rifled slugs.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Rifled barrels are really only good for sabot slugs that are way more expensive than rifled slugs.
    Beat me to it. Some other bits of nomenclature about slugs and sabots, do not use a full choke for slugs. There will be those as usual that will say "I shoot slugs using full chokes all the time". Full chokes with slugs have been known to bulge barrels on fixed chokes and put enormous wear and tear on screw in chokes. A modified choke is fine for slugs. Some slugs have a slightly different diameter such as Winchester as compared to Remington. I use the Remington 2 3/4 Slugger in my Winchester 1300 with a modified choke and it's purty darn accurate out to 50 yards. You need to try different combinations to get the best accuracy. My results were just the best for my shotgun after many different combinations were tried. Screw in chokes are the best choice but a standard Improved cylinder fixed choke is fine. With rifled barrels USMC3531 is correct, rifled barrels are made to shoot sabots. If you shoot slugs from that barrel you'll be scrubbing the lead out it until the cows come home and accuracy will suck.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Delaware County)

I went with the field / security combo some 40 years ago when I moved into my first house. My 18.5 barrel is smooth bore with rifle sights and I paid $160 out the door at the old Gun Craft shop in Folsom.

(Lancaster County)

Mossberg barrels are about $75 on sale now at CDNN sports... Just saying.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Mossberg barrels are about $75 on sale now at CDNN sports... Just saying.
    LOL I was just about to post that.
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/gun-parts...egory+Discount

And free shipping to boot!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lycoming County)

As others have said, skip the rifled barrel if you're looking for a one and done purchase. Slugs out of the smooth barrel will get the job done out to 75yds easily. I've hunted everything from squirrel to bunnies to turkey with the standard 28" barrel and it's fine. If you want to dial it in you can always get extra choked to change the pattern.