Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Henry Homesteader 9mm Carbine

Ha! Hi-Point - there's another one where I'm out of touch when it comes to pricing.
    I no longer own it, but I paid $119 for mine brand new. (the orig style)
    They're cool little carbines, but there's two reasons I have never bothered getting around to buying another one - the 10 rd mag limit - and price.
    10 rounds - that's as desirable as an AR15 that will only accept a 5 round magazine. Pass.

I'm typically not so nit-picky about pricing of new guns, but I can go buy a Ruger PC 9 at PSA right now for $600.
    It comes with two mag well adapters, has the same threaded barrel (actually a negative in my opinion, as I have no use for that), adjustable length of pull, AND is a TAKE-DOWN rife.

So, for $300 more, you get less features with the Henry.
    I do understand that the PC 9 has been out for a while now, and prices were probably much higher initially, but if you are introducing a gun that is simply a copy of an existing rifle, with nothing innovating, or improved upon, I think it's unrealistic to command THAT much of a price difference.

Also, MY view on gun pricing is skewed, because I can't afford to buy a new gun - I build them instead.
    I can't plunk down $600-$900 at once, but I'll buy parts as I can, then assemble them all. Between that and the super low prices of even factory assembled AR15s, I have a hard time paying a higher price for a less modular, less capable, less user-friendly gun.

ALL that said, I really DO like what I see so far. DO want.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Ha! Hi-Point - there's another one where I'm out of touch when it comes to pricing.
    I no longer own it, but I paid $119 for mine brand new. (the orig style)
    They're cool little carbines, but there's two reasons I have never bothered getting around to buying another one - the 10 rd mag limit - and price.
    10 rounds - that's as desirable as an AR15 that will only accept a 5 round magazine. Pass.

I'm typically not so nit-picky about pricing of new guns, but I can go buy a Ruger PC 9 at PSA right now for $600.
    It comes with two mag well adapters, has the same threaded barrel (actually a negative in my opinion, as I have no use for that), adjustable length of pull, AND is a TAKE-DOWN rife.

So, for $300 more, you get less features with the Henry.
    I do understand that the PC 9 has been out for a while now, and prices were probably much higher initially, but if you are introducing a gun that is simply a copy of an existing rifle, with nothing innovating, or improved upon, I think it's unrealistic to command THAT much of a price difference.

Also, MY view on gun pricing is skewed, because I can't afford to buy a new gun - I build them instead.
    I can't plunk down $600-$900 at once, but I'll buy parts as I can, then assemble them all. Between that and the super low prices of even factory assembled AR15s, I have a hard time paying a higher price for a less modular, less capable, less user-friendly gun.

ALL that said, I really DO like what I see so far. DO want.
    What is this PC 9 you're referring to? Ruger makes the PC Carbine. And it's an OK gun. I only paid $500 for mine brand new, and that's about all it's worth out of the box. I've probably put another couple hundred dollars in upgrades in it to get it where I wanted it as a USPSA gun. Now I don't shoot USPSA, so I don't shoot my PC Carbine much. The takedown feature is great if you don't mind your POI shifting every time you take the gun apart and put it back together. You can remedy that if you get the railed version or an adapter and move the dot out to the barrel instead of the receiver. I have other guns that are far better for HD/SD, so it doesn't fill that roll. It's mainly brought out when I take people to the range.

I don't know that the Henry is a copy of anything. Haven't seen the inside or read/heard where it's a clone. It could be. If they developed the gun from the ground up, that could explain why it's more expensive. R&D costs money. It could also simply be because Henry is a smaller company and doesn't have the deep pockets like Ruger. Given my experience with Henry and Ruger, the Henry will probably be better built and more reliable. That factors into the cost. Both have great customer service, however.

The reports from SHOT say it's softer shooting than the PC Carbine. That's good 'cause until I added a shock buffer, the Ruger's recoil impulse sucked.

(Allegheny County)

Ha. I still have the old Ruger name in my head. I'd actually prefer the original PC9 to the new "Carbine".

I can't disagree with anything you just said, and much of it, I had already considered. I still wouldn't pay THAT much more for one.
    I do hope it turns out to be a huge success for Henry and it's nice to see some old school styling for a change.

(Allegheny County)

Henry makes great guns, I expect this one to be no different. Would be a pretty cool suppressor host.
    Today was a good day!

(Allegheny County)

(Allegheny County)

I took a chance at one of these at the GAOS but don't think I'd buy one.

Looks likea cool little plinker and have a decent reserve of 9mm

Of course my Henry .44 big loop is a decent plinker too.

As is my nylon 66.

And the Ar22

And the. And the
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I took a chance at one of these at the GAOS but don't think I'd buy one.

Looks likea cool little plinker and have a decent reserve of 9mm

Of course my Henry .44 big loop is a decent plinker too.

As is my nylon 66.

And the Ar22

And the. And the
    If I didn't have a Ruger PC Carbine, I'd get the Homesteader, but I don't need another 9mm carbine. I'm hoping they offer the Homesteader in .45 ACP. I think it would make a great suppressor host for a HD gun.

Also, have two Nylon 66s and they are awesome. Among the rifles I'd never part with, ever.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    If I didn't have a Ruger PC Carbine, I'd get the Homesteader, but I don't need another 9mm carbine. I'm hoping they offer the Homesteader in .45 ACP. I think it would make a great suppressor host for a HD gun.

Also, have two Nylon 66s and they are awesome. Among the rifles I'd never part with, ever.

The nylon 66 is just an incredible little rifle.

My dad got it when I was about 12 or so in the early 60s if I remember.
    I.use old aluminum arrows as speed loaders.

Did you shoot that 10mm yet?
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Not sure about the barrel mounted peep sight.......How is that supposed to work?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast