Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 146 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: ATF Just Released Their Brace Ruling

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    Gotcha, I thought you were taking it the direction of don*t comply don*t give in and keep the pistol the way it is. My mistake.
    Nope. I have never suggested breaking the law.

My stance is this - wait it out to see what all shakes out.
    If you have put all your efforts into building a single gun that is equipped with a brace, well that's your own dumb fault.
    Who didn't see this coming? I did.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

If you have put all your efforts into building a single gun that is equipped with a brace, well that's your own dumb fault.
    It's kind of toss of a coin putting your trust in a government agency that puts people thru the ringer because of a drawing that they rule is a machine gun. Things that make you Hmmm
    Last edited by GOYABEAN; January 16th, 2023 at 02:09 PM.

27. ONCE THE FIREARM IS REGISTERED, AM I REQUIRED TO MARK THE FIREARM SINCE I MANUFACTURED
    A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE (SBR)?
    * If the SBR equipped with a *stabilizing brace* is registered within the 120-day tax forbearance
    period, the possessor is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm.
    Forbearance means temporary. I'm pretty sure the atf doesn't have the authority to hand out free stamps. For all we know they suspend the tax payment until they hand out their stamps, then start kicking down doors demanding people pay up. Do you trust the atf enough to be confident that won't happen?

Jail time? Non-compliance?

Take the brace off. Done.

How hard is that?
    Except there's a problem. The verbiage says anything providing surface area to be able to be shouldered, including stock, brace, or buffer tube. Which would render anything under 16" with a buffer tube a sbr. So just taking the brace off isn't going to be good enough.

(Wyoming County)

I respect EM's line in the sand.

That being said. I have a factory built, store bought AR pistol that has a paper trail of a 4473 and a SP4-113 record of sale already in the database.

I threw an original SB brace on it & I think that damn thing cost me north of $150 at the time. Ok, so like my bumpstock, the ATF said "yeah these are totally legal" and then you spend some serious coin to buy them and then the ATF says "now, they are illegal, so sorry". "Oh and by the way we put a little blurb in our final rule that now may make buffer tubes=stocks, so even without a brace you may still have an SBR."

So yeah, if I can recoup some expense, by the "non-collection" of a $200 tax stamp for a SBR that's already on everybody's radar...go ahead and hate me because I'm going to do it. The alternative I fear is to wait for the ATF to drag out clarification on what they mean by "surface area" on a buffer tube and by then the grace period will have expired.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I respect EM's line in the sand.

That being said. I have a factory built, store bought AR pistol that has a paper trail of a 4473 and a SP4-113 record of sale already in the database.

I threw an original SB brace on it & I think that damn thing cost me north of $150 at the time. Ok, so like my bumpstock, the ATF said "yeah these are totally legal" and then you spend some serious coin to buy them and then the ATF says "now, they are illegal, so sorry". "Oh and by the way we put a little blurb in our final rule that now may make buffer tubes=stocks, so even without a brace you may still have an SBR."

So yeah, if I can recoup some expense, by the "non-collection" of a $200 tax stamp for a SBR that's already on everybody's radar...go ahead and hate me because I'm going to do it. The alternative I fear is to wait for the ATF to drag out clarification on what they mean by "surface area" on a buffer tube and by then the grace period will have expired.
    I definitely see a difference between something that's already on record vs something that is not.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Clinton County)

So what you're saying is you are going to start complying now? Because what THEY are saying is that you've been breaking the law all this time and you'll be forgiven if you play by their new rules. You saw this coming and still decided to make illegal SBR's?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    So what you're saying is you are going to start complying now? Because what THEY are saying is that you've been breaking the law all this time and you'll be forgiven if you play by their new rules. You saw this coming and still decided to make illegal SBR's?
    LOL
    I've been "complying" all along.

When I first bought a brace, the stamp tax guys were mocking people for doing so because they didn't like the fact that THEY paid $200 while other people just bought a piece of plastic and were legal, while owning essentially the same type of gun.
    "Why not just get a stamp and put a real stock on it???"
    A: Because I don't want to
    Q: What happens when they ban those things?
    A: I'll take it off.
    Q: Well... well... ummmm...

I don't know what to tell anyone who didn't see this coming.
    All along, I built my pistols small for this very reason - I didn't want to wake up one day and have 14" barreled pistol with all sorts of tricked out military-style gadgets, weighing as much as a rifle, and have nothing but a round pistol buffer tube on it. That would suck ass.
    And I suspect that's were most people are with this right now.

(Bradford County)

People sure do love their gadgets.

Sorry, carry on...
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

(Allegheny County)

Saw it coming when it first started with the you can shoulder, you can*t shoulder bs. Then all the collapsible braces coming out, knew it was only a matter of time.
    Today was a good day!

(Allegheny County)

I remember a time when you HAD to have a PISTOL buffer tube on pistols - something that would not physically allow the addition of a stock.

I never could figure out how/when that "changed", but once all the "approved", adjustable braces that used standard carbine buffer tubes came out, it really started the ball rolling to where we are now.

I have to wonder - did the guy who approved these things get fired, or was he in on the plan all along, because it really does seem like they did all of this intentionally, knowing that in just a few short years, they could cast a HUGE net, and... (insert their end goal here)

Page 13 of 146 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast