Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Teaching a left-hander to shoot

My son is left-handed, but right-eye dominant.

My guns are all set up for a right-hander (me), which makes it inconvenient for him to shoot them left-handed. We can work around that for now, but the part I'm unsure about is the right-dominant eye - with handguns it doesn't matter much, but with rifles and shotguns it does...can't shoot left-handed and sight with right eye, so he'll have to either shoot with the wrong hand, or aim with the wrong eye. Which way makes more sense? I've been having him try both to see what feels more comfortable, and he says they both feel a little weird. I don't want to steer him in the wrong direction, so I'm asking for advice here. Learn to shoot right-handed, or learn to aim left-eyed?

Default Re: Teaching a left-hander to shoot

Every time he picks up a gun with is left hand, smack it with a ruler. That's what my teacher did when I was learning to write.

I'm left handed, and right eye dominant. i think what helped me is I started shooting trap, with a shotgun, and held it right handed so I could use my right eye to follow the bird. Lots of practice, my father took me twice a week every week for years. Now as an adult, there's no issue. Added benefit, I can shoot both left or right.

I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot handguns left handed and aim with my right eye. I shoot long guns left handed, but aim with my left eye. I can also switch completely to right handed and right eye for both pistols and long guns. All of my bolt guns are right handed. Only left handed guns I own are muzzleloaders, and that's mainly because it's safer to have the flash go off beside your face with the lock separated from it by the stock and barrel instead of directly in front of it.

Do not force your son into a specific way of shooting. Give him the tools and let him decide which works best for him. It will take time for him to adapt, but once he does, he'll find it easier to adapt to shooting with the other hand/eye.

Also, unless he actually has trouble doing so, there's no need to switch the mag release or slide catch on a semi-auto handgun. We lefties have an advantage in that we can activate both with our trigger fingers without having to shift our grip. Makes for a much faster transition from empty to new mag. Only thing you need to worry about is an ambi-safety (if the gun has one). He can manipulate a left side safety, but it's a pain in the ass. Having one on the right side is much more convenient.

(Susquehanna County)

For those with cross dominant eyes competition riflemen suggest the best way is to teach a new shooter to shoot on the side of the dominant eye. So teach him to shoot right handed. If that doesn't work or it is too uncomfortable for him use a "blinder" on his right eye so his aiming is done with the left eye. A simple piece of tape on his shooting glasses might be all that is needed.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. I shoot left handed, works well enough for me. I don't have too many problems, I actually kinda like it because you need some dexterity for quick rifle magazine changes, and I'm using my dominant hand for those. My only problem is bullpups. But your son won't have that issue if he shoots right handed

(Delaware County)

I'm a lefty. We lefty's are truly an oppressed and disadvantaged minority in this cruel, right-handed world. You right-handed fascists simple don't know our struggle. So, like everything else for me as a lefty, I was forced to adjust to guns and rifles designed for right-handers. This is why I prefer Glocks and Mossbergs and other firearms which are mostly ambidextrous. Most AR's and long guns are for righty's though, which a lefty will learn quickly when the hot brass ejects onto their arm.

As for teaching, it's fundamentally the same only slightly more awkward for a lefty ergonomically. He will need to find the best, most comfortable way to eject mags, flip the safety, etc., then do it all the time to develop good speed and muscle memory.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    I'm a lefty. We lefty's are truly an oppressed and disadvantaged minority in this cruel, right-handed world.
    Well you are a sinister. So.......

One of my daughters is a lefty and the other one a righty but cross dominant. Both of them shoot rifles left handed. For pistols it doesn't matter so they shoot whichever way feels more natural. I never got around to buying a left handed rifle because they really don't need one. They can shoot rifles just fine.

The only thing that doesn't work for leftys are scissors. And maybe righty tighty lefty loosey.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Most AR's and long guns are for righty's though, which a lefty will learn quickly when the hot brass ejects onto their arm.
    Is there something wrong with my AR? Never gotten hot brass on my arm. Only time I did was on with an AK, and that was because it was under-gassed and recoil spring was too stiff.

Left-handed stranger I was talking to at the range claimed the gases coming out of the ejection port are a bother to him with ARs and AKs. Never bothered me much, but I guess I'm used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Also, unless he actually has trouble doing so, there's no need to switch the mag release or slide catch on a semi-auto handgun. We lefties have an advantage in that we can activate both with our trigger fingers without having to shift our grip. Makes for a much faster transition from empty to new mag. Only thing you need to worry about is an ambi-safety (if the gun has one). He can manipulate a left side safety, but it's a pain in the ass. Having one on the right side is much more convenient.
    I will 2nd this. I am a lefty. I learned to easily drop a standard mag with my left hand. I bought a Glock a couple of years ago and switched the mag release. It*s the only gun i have problems dropping the mag. I forget that I switched it and it just does not feel natural.

(Montgomery County)

Shoot to your dominant eye.

Right handed, left eye dominant and lefty shooter here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast