Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Teaching a left-hander to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    Is there something wrong with my AR? Never gotten hot brass on my arm. Only time I did was on with an AK, and that was because it was under-gassed and recoil spring was too stiff.

Left-handed stranger I was talking to at the range claimed the gases coming out of the ejection port are a bother to him with ARs and AKs. Never bothered me much, but I guess I'm used to it.
    Only gun where that was an issue was my wife's Sub2000. Easy solution was to install an MCARBO brass deflector / blast shield. No more gas to the face.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Well you are a sinister. So.......

One of my daughters is a lefty and the other one a righty but cross dominant. Both of them shoot rifles left handed. For pistols it doesn't matter so they shoot whichever way feels more natural. I never got around to buying a left handed rifle because they really don't need one. They can shoot rifles just fine.

The only thing that doesn't work for leftys are scissors. And maybe righty tighty lefty loosey.
    Spoken like a typical righty oppressor. Check your right-handed privilege, Sir. Literally everything is designed for the right-handed down to the simplest things. Pick up a coffee mug with you left hand. See the logo? No, it's on the other side so a righty can see it. Yes, a small thing, but it's just part of everything. My current bitch is guitars. Go to a music store. Check out the 1000+ right-handed guitars on display, then go have a look at the two left-handed guitars, if they even have that many.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Chester County)

I teach kids in a youth shooting program, and often encounter cross-dominant kids. We get the best results teaching them to shoot on the same side as their eye dominance. If they resist, we give them shooting glasses that blocks the dominant eye. They invariably decide to change hands instead. We have left handed guns for kids who are left eye dominant.

I am left handed and right eye dominant. I shot left handed until the age of 18, when I won the lottery and got free firearms training from my Uncle Sam. On my first range day, I was told that I was now right handed and there would be no further discussion. It was awkward at first, but it stuck.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Chester County)

Thanks, all! Some great advice here. The general consensus seems to be to shoot with the dominant eye, so that is how I will teach him, at least for the long guns. I don't think it matters much with handguns, so I will let him shoot whichever way he is most comfortable. Thanks for the advice!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by undertow View Post
    My son is left-handed, but right-eye dominant.

My guns are all set up for a right-hander (me), which makes it inconvenient for him to shoot them left-handed. We can work around that for now, but the part I'm unsure about is the right-dominant eye - with handguns it doesn't matter much, but with rifles and shotguns it does...can't shoot left-handed and sight with right eye, so he'll have to either shoot with the wrong hand, or aim with the wrong eye. Which way makes more sense? I've been having him try both to see what feels more comfortable, and he says they both feel a little weird. I don't want to steer him in the wrong direction, so I'm asking for advice here. Learn to shoot right-handed, or learn to aim left-eyed?
    I'm left-handed.
    My father was left-handed.
    My mother was left-handed.

I was taught to shoot right-handed.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I'm left-handed.
    My father was left-handed.
    My mother was left-handed.

I was taught to shoot right-handed.
    Which is your good eye? The rule to use your good eye works both ways.

Now if you are a lefty with a left dominant eye and you were taught to shoot right handed that would be a whole different topic

(Bucks County)

Too many folks get wrapped around the axle of The God of Eye Dominance. Eye dominance is for shit and means virtually nothing.
    The reason is because it's so easy to reduce eye dominance by training. The muscles in your eyes are trainable. F the God of Eye Dominance, he's a fraud.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Which is your good eye? The rule to use your good eye works both ways.

Now if you are a lefty with a left dominant eye and you were taught to shoot right handed that would be a whole different topic
    Both of my eyes suck (:

But my right eye is dominant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12