Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardtack?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Hardtack?

I知 making some hardtack and wondering what I can add to the recipe to spice it up without effecting shelf life? So far I added dry rosemary, bouillon cubes and baking soda to salt/water/flour. I知 cutting them with a can so they池e round until my square cutter gets here.

Wife mentioned Nutritional Yeast?

New recipe I tried today said to add baking soda so we値l see how that turns out! Should rise a bit I suppose.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Hardtack?

Every hardtack I have ever made is just flour and salt.

(Bucks County)

Any spice is going to shorten the shelf life. From 100 years unspiced to how long? Not a clue.

But why does it matter if it tastes better? Just add the spices when you cook it. And if you are making a batch to eat soon in a recipe add anything you want.

Baking powder will make it rise but without anything acidic baking soda won't do anything (and it won't taste as good as just salt)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Any spice is going to shorten the shelf life. From 100 years unspiced to how long? Not a clue.

But why does it matter if it tastes better? Just add the spices when you cook it. And if you are making a batch to eat soon in a recipe add anything you want.

Baking powder will make it rise but without anything acidic baking soda won't do anything (and it won't taste as good as just salt)
    I was wondering the same about baking soda but figured I壇 try it anyway. For the most part I知 just messing around but when it comes to the stuff I keep vacuum sealed that will just be flour/water/salt. The stuff I知 making now we take camping with us etc. we池e getting into primitive cooking etc

I think if you went with a Wet Rosemary it would be better ?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bravo30 View Post
    I was wondering the same about baking soda but figured I*d try it anyway. For the most part I*m just messing around but when it comes to the stuff I keep vacuum sealed that will just be flour/water/salt. The stuff I*m making now we take camping with us etc. we*re getting into primitive cooking etc
    I would be more worried about the hardtack if it was vacuum sealed. There is no need to do that and if it is not totally dry the moisture is trapped and it could start to mold. Hardtack left in the open will continue to dry.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I would be more worried about the hardtack if it was vacuum sealed. There is no need to do that and if it is not totally dry the moisture is trapped and it could start to mold. Hardtack left in the open will continue to dry.
    Hmm,I知 doing 375 degrees for 30mins each side. Other recipes call for longer bake times so maybe best to let air dry like you said unless I decide to bake longer? Thanks for the heads up. I値l look further Into this.

Educate me on what you are doing and why? All I know about this is civil war food.
    ΑΣΦ

(Philadelphia County)

This is strange. All but 3 have cracked pretty much in the same spot as they were cooling. This batch was flour, baking soda, salt, dry rosemary, water baked at 375 degrees for 30mins each side

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Educate me on what you are doing and why? All I know about this is civil war food.
    My wife and I got into primitive cooking and were also into being prepared etc so making hardtack was a logical step in our journey.
    Hardtack is a cheap, easy and incredibly shelf stable and durable survival ration. Can稚 hurt to learn and also have another reliable food source on hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast