Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardtack?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Hardtack?

Quote Originally Posted by bravo30 View Post
    This is strange. All but 3 have cracked pretty much in the same spot as they were cooling. This batch was flour, baking soda, salt, dry rosemary, water baked at 375 degrees for 30mins each side

Looks authentic but you can't fully dehydrate anything in 30 min. My guess would be to bake at a lower temp then a longer time at a very low temp or in the sun on a dry day to fully dehydrate.

Do you have a dehydrator? Finish it there. When I buy a good loaf of "natural" bread I eat it for a few days till it starts to dry out. Before it goes bad I cut it up into crackers and put it into my dehydrator at 95 degrees for 4-5 hours to make a crisp cracker. After that I can let it sit for weeks. If I think it is not as crisp later I just put to back in the dehydrator for a couple hours.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Looks authentic but you can't fully dehydrate anything in 30 min. My guess would be to bake at a lower temp then a longer time at a very low temp or in the sun on a dry day to fully dehydrate.

Do you have a dehydrator? Finish it there. When I buy a good loaf of "natural" bread I eat it for a few days till it starts to dry out. Before it goes bad I cut it up into crackers and put it into my dehydrator at 95 degrees for 4-5 hours to make a crisp cracker. After that I can let it sit for weeks. If I think it is not as crisp later I just put to back in the dehydrator for a couple hours.
    NO dehydrator here but the wife wants one so I’ll guess I’ll check into one of those as well.
    You think I could just keep baking @ 350 degrees for 1 hr total and then dehydrator for a few hours? Problem is, I can’t keep the oven tied up during evening hours (dinner time) but the dehydrator is a different story so that system would work out well and then I could find other uses for it so it’s a win/win for us.

(Berks County)

NO dehydrator here but the wife wants one so I*ll guess I*ll check into one of those as well.
    You think I could just keep baking @ 350 degrees for 1 hr total and then dehydrator for a few hours? Problem is, I can*t keep the oven tied up during evening hours (dinner time) but the dehydrator is a different story so that system would work out well and then I could find other uses for it so it*s a win/win for us.
    What temp do dehydrators work at? Can't you just set the oven at something like 200?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

I had my dehydrator for years and they can be useful. Besides the crackers from bread I use it to dry the herbs I get from the garden, drying fruits for trail snacks and making / finishing Jerky. Dehydrators run at a low temperature (~150 max) so they don't really cook anything but with the fan circulating air you don't need to. I do the bread crackers and herbs at the lowest temperature of 95 for a few hours and I might start out the wet things like fruits and Jerkey at 145 but after a few hours turn it down. Overnight at 145 dehydrate too much.

You will still need to bake things like hardtack to cook it and get the toasted flavor but to make sure it is dried a few hours to overnight in the dehydrator at a low temp will make sure it is dry. Then pack it in an airtight container while still warm. For added insurance you can add a moisture absorber like these. They are small and cheap and I put one in a lot of things I want to keep dry.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYLR3Q6...t_details&th=1

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Can't you just set the oven at something like 200?
    After cooking for something like hard tack this should work since I don't think it is possible to make it "too dry". But for drying most other things like herbs and jerky you want them dry but still with enough moisture so it doesn't turn to dust. That is why I suggested a dehydrator.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    What temp do dehydrators work at? Can't you just set the oven at something like 200?
    That would be like making beef jerky I suppose and take FOREVER. Wife wants her oven back!

(Berks County)

That would be like making beef jerky I suppose and take FOREVER. Wife wants her oven back!
    Make an oven schedule and tape it to the door handle.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northampton County)

Can I ask what you are storing the hardtack in?
    You're a sanctimonious hypocrite of a bible-spouting blackmailer !

You tried Dried Rosemary ,Have you tried WET Rosemary ? Couldn't resist .

(Perry County)

I've made hardtack, first when taking my son's BSA Scout troop to Gettysburg for the National Historical Trail hike and a couple of times since. My recipe is bleached flour, salt, and water baked for 1.5 hours at 300 degrees F.

I've never added anything to the recipe as hardtack isn't something to be eaten by itself - unless you have the bite force of a great ape. Historically hardtack was added to stews, broths, and even coffee to allow it to soften up so one could eat it.
    -Bruce545

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12