Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Illegal for FFL to transfer at gun show or raffle unless "sponsored"?

Per paragraph (b) unless the show or bash is sponsored by the NRA or similar club on a more local scale then FFL business cannot be conducted off site?

https://regulations.atf.gov/478-100/E9-527#478-100

(Berks County)

Default Re: Illegal for FFL to transfer at gun show or raffle unless "sponsored"?

Why are you bypassing paragraph a (1)?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Default Re: Illegal for FFL to transfer at gun show or raffle unless "sponsored"?

I think it's an 'or' situation, not an 'and' situation.

I've seen FFL's conduct business in homes when buying items/collections, etc.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Why are you bypassing paragraph a (1)?

I'm not.

"1.A licensee may conduct business temporarily at a gun show or event as defined in paragraph (b) if the gun show or event is located in the same State specified on the license:"

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by edmundfitz1975 View Post
    I'm not.

"1.A licensee may conduct business temporarily at a gun show or event as defined in paragraph (b) if the gun show or event is located in the same State specified on the license:"
    Then exactly what is your assertion? If shows aren't "sponsored" by someone, they don't happen. Three FFLs deciding on their own to go set up in a parking lot on a Saturday is not a "gun show".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Then exactly what is your assertion? If shows aren't "sponsored" by someone, they don't happen. Three FFLs deciding on their own to go set up in a parking lot on a Saturday is not a "gun show".
    To add to the above, in like manner it is illegal for an FFL to set up at a flea market, street fair, county fair, or the like as events such as those are not sponsored by an approved organization promoting the shooting sports.

However, it is legal for an FFL to go to a private dwelling for the purposes of acquiring firearms for his inventory. Those firearms will be recorded as acquisitions in compliance with the law. The big difference in this case is that the FFL is not SELLING firearms at the same time.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    They need to be sponsored by a certain someone per
    "b.A gun show or an event is a function sponsored by any national, State, or local organization, devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms, or an organization or association that sponsors functions devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community."

A VFD likely doesn't qualify and what about an FFL doing transfers to winners on site for a gun bash?

(Erie County)

Are "Eagle Shows" considered a "sponsor"?

(Elk County)

Are "Eagle Shows" considered a "sponsor"?
    ". . . an organization or association that sponsors functions devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms . . ."

Eagle, Showmasters, C&E, and other for-profit promoters fall into this category. I'm not sure if you're aware, but show sponsors/promoters are required by PSP/PICS to provide advance notice of their show events so that PICS is adequately staffed. ATFE and PSP/PICS are well aware of these organizations, and if any of them were not compliant with the regulation/requirements, they would be either shut down of changes would need to be made.

(Elk County)

They need to be sponsored by a certain someone per
    "b.A gun show or an event is a function sponsored by any national, State, or local organization, devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms, or an organization or association that sponsors functions devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community."

A VFD likely doesn't qualify and what about an FFL doing transfers to winners on site for a gun bash?
    A VFD does not qualify unless a) it has a group within the VFD that promotes firearms and shooting sports, or b) a separate organization which does promote shooting sports sponsors the show and rents the VFD hall. A number of small north central PA gun shows operate this way.

As for VFD gun bashes, in my experience those generally benefit a VFD as a fundraiser. Those technically do not qualify for doing transfers on premises during the event. I know of one FFL who handled a VFD gun bash for years until the VFD powers that be "fired" the FFL for refusing to do transfers during the event, and got an FFL from 100-some miles away to do their bash, and who agreed to do on site transfers. Then the VFD badmouthed the local FFL. I have Pittsburgh office ATFE connections from when I had my FFL, and two of them told me that the FFL doing that VFD's bash is doing transfers illegally, but it's looked on as a no harm activity and not worth bringing charges. Sort of like all the "dealers" at gun shows who have bought and sold long guns for years without a license - ATFE chooses not to force them into getting licenses for old Mausers, four digit priced pre-64 Winchesters, and shotguns because those guns are almost never used in the commission of a crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast