Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default T/C Encore Or Contender PIstols

OK, I have an encore pistol frame and I am looking to put together a combo to use on a hog hunt this winter and maybe a during whitetail firearms season next year. I am just wondering if any of you guys/gals have a setup that you have already used and how it works for ya. Any suggestions as to caliber, scope, mounting system, or any info in general will be greatly appreciated. Also if you have one in a larger or magnum caliber, how's the recoil? Manageable? I do understand that you're only taking one shot so it can't be that bad. Obviously something in between the .243 and .30-06 cal. would be my choice for big game hunting. I already own several guns in .30-06 but that my be a SOB in a pistol configuration?!?!

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: T/C Encore Or Contender PIstols

I have an Encore pistol set up with a .308 Win barrel that I intend to use for deer this year. It has proven accurate at the range and I have no doubt that it is more than adequate for my needs.
    I have been loading cartridges with 125-130 grain bullets. I particularly like the Barnes triple X. Heavier bullets have been accurate as well, though recoil becomes "brisk" as weight goes up.
    I have an Aimpoint 9000 on the barrel.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Centre County)

The 7-30 Waters is also a good round (7mm in a 30-30 case). 150 grain bullet. I carried one for a number of years for deer hunting. Very good accuracy and can be handloaded to get even better accuracy. I had a 1.5-4x40 long eye relief scope it. Put a 1" nylon sling on it so that I could loop it around my neck and then adjust it so the when you push it out to get the correct eye relief it is held under tension with your neck. Makes a very stable sight picture.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I too have a 15 inch Encore pistol in .308 Win. It wears a Burris 3x9 scope with target knobs (no longer made), in Millet steel rings, on the standard Weaver base. I started out using Burris Zee rings but the scope kept sliding in the rings under recoil. After stripping the threads I switched to the Millets and added a touch of old fashion rubber cement inside the rings and it hasn’t moved since the mid 90’s. I use 125gr NBT for groundhogs and have shot a double at 208yds. For deer I have been loading 150gr SGK both propelled with WW748. Currently at 3 deer on this. I use this rig hunting off a backpack or out of a tree stand with a shooting rail. You just can’t point and shoot it needs a rest.

Down sides are to top heavy, and the scope doesn’t have enough field of view. My fix for that would be to use a less powerful scope 1x4 or 2x7, with lighter rings. I have a Contender in 7x30 Waters that I put a 2x7 on. It’s mounted on the standard Weaver base held by three Leopold Rifleman vertical split rings with rubber cement added. The rings are light and cheap. I liked it so much I used the same setup on a 12 inch 44 Mag barrel I put together for Delaware’s handgun season.

Recoil is “brisk” but manageable. Pick your gloves carefully. I posted this two or three years ago.

*******CAUTION ENCORE HANDGUNNERS*******

DO NOT wear FLEECE gloves while shooting your 15 inch barreled ENCORE in .308 Win. Handgun!

As light was shrinking on the close of MD firearms season I was reviewing what poor year I was having when two doe walked up to my right. I decide to try the shot left handed. I rested the fore stock on the padded shooting rail. With the right hand on top of the scope and the grip tight in my left hand I touched off the shot. Boom! The gun flew out of my hands, bounced off my chest, sprung off the burlap stand blind and onto the seat beside me. The doe crumpled at the shot, neck shot, right where the cross hairs were. I was never so glad I put the burlap on the stand or the ENCORE would have fallen the 20 feet to the ground.

Learn from my mistake. I love those gloves, very warm, but it was like shooting with grease hands.

I’m smiling now!
    Walt

PM me if you want to know more.
    Good Luck,
    Walt

(Allegheny County)

I think the 375JDJ would be hard to beat if hogs are on the menu. They are a bit more stout than deer.
    The Lord Bless You

(Westmoreland County)

I dont have and never have shot a contender but always thought i wanted one and still do.

But as for a round i can tell you i know many people who have shot hogs and deer in some of the larger pistol calibers a .44 mag or .454 barrel should be able to handle either animal as well as having managable recoil but these would really only be sufficient if your at close enough range. but thats just my 2cents