Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking For Some .380 Auto Self Defense Ammo Suggestions

My Girlfriend has now asked to start carrying one of Sig p232s and I only currently have Remington Range ammo...

Tons of .45 and 9mm SD ammo reports, but anyone ever post one up with .380? I know it's not very popular and not very powerful, but at 5'2" 105 lbs, she feels very comfortable with it....

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Looking For Some .380 Auto Self Defense Ammo Suggestions

I use FMJ in a 380. It is on the low end of the power scale and I think you're better off with the extra penetration of FMJ. Most reliable feeding is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    I use FMJ in a 380. It is on the low end of the power scale and I think you're better off with the extra penetration of FMJ. Most reliable feeding is a plus.
    big +1, FMJ in 380 for self defense. i use fiocchi, it was the hottest i tested out of my p3at according to my chrony

(Allegheny County)

Default .380 Auto Self Defense Ammo / general personal protection ammo choice guidelines

Along with a pair of 380 ACP ammo suggestions, may I suggest a few additional items to consider, based upon my experiences offering training for concealed carry, home / personal defense, and past public & private security and law enforcement duties ...

-- Take into account the design of your firearm. For example, a favorite warm weather or back up piece of mine is a Walther PPK/s in 380 ACP. This is a 70 year old design, well proven - BUT - being a straight blow back design, it is not a fan of some newer, lighter bullet weights or higher velocity loads. Reliability is best when staying within the range of bullet weights and common velocities available during the firearm's original design timeframe. (Speer Gold Dot 90 gr. HP's have worked well for me for this specific firearm from day one, but it took about a 400 round break in period before it would reliably feed 90 gr. Federal Low Recoil Personal Defense Hydra-Shok JHP's)

-- Be certain to test your choices on an outdoor range at dusk. Statistics commonly offer that a high percentage of incidents occurs during low light or no light conditions where muzzle flash with it's inherent temporary blinding affect and it's ability to pinpoint you to an assailant are _critical_ concerns.
    I own 18 handguns, 5 of which I commonly carry openly or concealed (the others are largely for class / range use by students). The 5 that I commonly carry use 3 different brands and styles of ammo in 4 different calibers. Gotta find what works on an individual basis, there generally is no "one size (brand) fits all" here ...

-- Practically all of us, particularly in light of rising ammo costs, practice with the cheapest Winchester "white box" or CCI Blazer (aluminium or brass) that we can find at the local Wal-Mart / Gander Mountain / etc ... Practice more equals bleed less, but be certain that on a regular basis, at least quarterly, that you end your practice session by firing your carry + backup magazine of defense rounds at minimum, if not more - and document it if possible, this can be as simple as saving the receipts for your "replacement" carry ammo. Reason: gotta practice with what you actually will use as muzzle flash, muzzle flip / recoil. point of impact, etc ... may be different.

Ask yourself: are you comfortable living on the margin of difference and NOT practicing with your defense ammo?

-- For semi-autos, a load that works well for you may be unreliable for others.
    Likelihood of this increases with higher velocity or hotter loads. Reason: your grip and technique are part and parcel to the recoil system of a semi-auto. Folks of smaller stature or with lesser hand strength who have a slightly less robust grip, who "limp wrist", or who are pushing ergonomic limits by having a handgun whose grip or trigger reach are bit too much for them tend to have a greater incidence of stove pipes / double feeds / stoppages generally ... TIP: check finger position on the trigger, frequently folks who must "overreach" here cannot adequately grip the pistol, or can only do so for the first shot or two - then the grip twists or shifts in their hand.

-- Documenting your regular practice, including practice with your defense round, is a good idea AND can enhance your "liability shield" should you ever be involved in an incident. Keep a folder with copies of receipts for memberships at your gun club, receipts for going to a pay / commercial pistol range, receipts or certificates for participation in organized shoots and training, etc ...

-- To save some money and ensure consistency, purchase defense ammo in quantity, say at least 100 - 250 rounds. If you "shoot up" defense rounds in practice as suggested above 250 rounds would last most folks 3 to 5 years. The savings can be substantial and ammo prices are much more likely to rise than fall.

... hope this helps ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIA_Design View Post
    My Girlfriend has now asked to start carrying one of Sig p232s and I only currently have Remington Range ammo...

Tons of .45 and 9mm SD ammo reports, but anyone ever post one up with .380? I know it's not very popular and not very powerful, but at 5'2" 105 lbs, she feels very comfortable with it....

Thanks in advance.

I got .380 brass if you reload...cheap, too..
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Cumberland County)

Buy some "white box" and some different self defense stuff. A box or 2 of each will be enough. Take it to the range and shoot it.

If it jams your gun, you DON'T want to use it for defense. If it runs cleanly - which ammo cycled your pistol with 100% chamber and fire certainty? Which one do you feel the most comfortable with - that is - which load doesn't throw you around? This is how I determine which is the best self defense load for my gun. A jammed gun, or a gun that flies out of your hand after the first shot isn't much good to you when you REALLY need it.

Once you determine which ammo passes the "your gun" test, THEN, look at penetration, expansion, "stopping power", etc.

For close range self defense, accuracy is almost secondary. Yes, you want something that can hit the target, but an inch either way isn't going to change the outcome very much.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Washington County)

I agree with Griz and schnoz. First, the ammo has to be 100% reliable. Would you want an airbag or a seatbelt that only works 90% of the time? Second, in .380, I would go with a FMJ for more penetration. I'd rather penetrate deeper and possibly hit a vital organ, rather than make a slightly larger hole and not go as deep. I made this decision after watching Col. Fackler's ballistic research.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

The nice thing is, the OP is talking about a 232 and not a jam-o-matic of any sort. My 232 would cycle any ammunition I ever put into it including hollow points. And to think, all of that without ever taking a dremel to it.
    Jules

And yes, I was Kel-Tec bashing.......

(Bucks County)

I carry federal hydra shok jhp in my .380

(Lancaster County)

I recently picked up a P232 and was on the Sig Forums looking for this answer. It seems that, from the responders of the post, they preferred Remington Golden Saber. I haven't tried any yet for reliablility so I can't say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast