Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Need Help Finding Training Classes for NJ Carry Permit

I was recently forced to change jobs due to a workforce "down sizing" and now I work in wonderful Newark, NJ. Over the past 4-5 weeks there have been at least 6 fatal shootings within a a couple of blocks of where i work, the last being today right accross the street from where I work.

To make a long story short, I know my PA carry permit will not work in NJ, I have heard many people say "there is no way you will get a NJ carry permit", but having read the NJ law (http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf...itle13ch54.pdf), I believe I would like to try for a permit anyway.

From what I can tell, there are at least two classes. The first course must be "substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A 2C:39-6j." This will also require qualifications testing and certification.

The second class would be for the NJ State laws on "governing the use of force" along with the required test.

If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it. I currently live in the Easton, PA area, so if possible I would prefer to take the classes and testing in that area.

Thanks

(Northampton County)

Exclamation Re: Need Help Finding Training Classes for NJ Carry Permit

Just remember.

WHEN (not IF) you get rejected for your NJ carry permit, EVERY time you renew/apply for a concealed carry permit in any other state, and the form asks, "Have you ever been turned down for a carry permit in any other state/jurisdiction?" you will need to respond in the affirmative. And deal with whatever the consequences are at that time.

I hope you are successful.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Need Help Finding Training Classes for NJ Carry Permit

The Capt is right. NJ is a "may Issue" state.
    In other words, if you're not politically connected, a retired LEO, or a celebrity, you will be denied a CC permit.
    Those are the only things that seem to satisfy the supreme court's definition of "Justifiable Need"

Instead, contact the NJ legislators that are in Newark's legislative district and tell them to support Bill A1282 and give them your story.

Check out NJCSD.org for more info.

-mike

(Pike County)

flejl, when I had a NJ permit I used a police trainer. He has since retired. If I can come up with anyone I will post for you.
    As has been said, good luck. Having been through it (and my permits where restricted permits for work only), I would suggest that you marry the superior court judge for the county that you wish to apply in.
    One other thing on that, good luck finding a county susperior court judge who will even schedule you for a hearing not being a resident of his/her county, or having a letter of need from a security company based in his/her county.

ADD: you might try these guys, not sure.

Firearms Training Center
    Firearms training for all NRA courses and security officer training courses
    75 Rutgers Street, 2nd Floor
    (Across from the Bullet Hole Public Indoor Range)
    Belleville NJ 07109
    (201) 919-0414
    www.firearmstrainingcenter.com
    Last edited by gf45acp; November 18th, 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add school

(Philadelphia County)

Given your situation, even if everyone thinks NJ won't issue a permit to you, you have to try, slim chance as it may be. Your immediate environment is the most important. What good will future permits serve you if you are dead? I give some benefit of the doubt to other states knowing how strict NJ is and won't take that particular denial too seriously. If anything, get the other permits first (Utah and/or Florida), just in case. Good luck to you. Sorry I can't help with info on the classes.

Al

I asked the NJ government about the required training for the NJ carry permit and told them I had an NRA Basic Pistol. They said that was acceptable. You'd probably want to know the rules of force for civilians, which in NJ means you must retreat until dead.
    That's the least of your worries, you'll need more than,"I work/live in a bad neighborhood." If you do large deposits at night, or carry valuable merchandise that may work.
    I'm doing the same thing myself, but I'm literally preparing my appeal (because I don't have connections and don't live or work in NJ, they'll deny me on justifiable need) as we speak. I've been researching federal and state law for months now and I found several states went shall-issue because of equal protection issues with may-issue.
    I applaud your decision to try though.Make them earn it.

(Delaware County)

GOOD LUCK.

I think that same gun shop that sells hunting licenses for Unicorn season will be holding the NJ Carry Permit class. In fact I think that there is a class scheduled for 11/31.

SORRY ... I just couldn't help myself. I am not making fun of you or your idea. I do wish you luck but I don't give it much hope.

(Delaware County)

I know a few NJ law enforcement officers, including one state trooper. Every time I mention NJ's carry permits, they all giggle with embarrassment.

None of those men know anyone who has ever been issued a concealed carry permit from NJ.

Good luck trying to get one. Maybe Governor Corzine will adopt you. That may be your only chance to get one.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/academy.html

Take this class, but then you would have to switch careers also.
    Bazinga

Do I understand correctly that you still live in Pa, but work in Newark?

If so I can't believe a non res would even be considered for a NJ permit.

Your best bet IMO is to save your money and carry pepper spray. 3/4oz pocket size pepper spray is legal IIRC.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast