Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Frames for stippling

TLDR: What is the best way to get polymer pistol frames for cheap to start learning how to do custom stippling?

I would like to try and start stippling handgun frames. Its right in line with some of my other hobbies so I'm sure I'll do well relatively quickly. I'd like to start with glock frames but they are serialized I believe so trying to pickup older/damaged/extra frames for cheap I assume would be a pain, but I have to practice somehow. I'm thinking maybe some cheaper P80's that are relatively plain or untextured. I think sig frames are fairly cheap and not serialized, but maybe that's just the 365 lineup. I'd love to hear what you all think about it. The demand seems crazy. I also have access to a high end laser at my work that I could use if I get to that point.

Default Re: Frames for stippling

You could go on gunbroker and look up parts kits guys sell stuff police depts demill. There are several manufacturers where the grip frames aren't the serialized parts. Sccy, sig mosquito, 320, some keltecs, etc. Gunbusters and tjonesoutdoors are some of the sellers that sell the kits

(Lackawanna County)

Print them

(Dauphin County)

It seems that the consensus is, most polymer handgun frames are made from a material called Nylon 6/6, with some including glass fiber reinforcing. Maybe it would be a good idea to buy a sheet of Nylon 6/6 from a supply store like McMaster-Carr (see link below). This would be much more inexpensive than purchasing 80% frames, or used pistol frames. Then, when you get comfortable with a method, you could switch to actual pistol frames.

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/we...rs-and-strips/
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    It seems that the consensus is, most polymer handgun frames are made from a material called Nylon 6/6, with some including glass fiber reinforcing. Maybe it would be a good idea to buy a sheet of Nylon 6/6 from a supply store like McMaster-Carr (see link below). This would be much more inexpensive than purchasing 80% frames, or used pistol frames. Then, when you get comfortable with a method, you could switch to actual pistol frames.

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/we...rs-and-strips/
    Getting some of the material is a good idea. That would allow me to practice the basics and try out different techniques and styles. I would need frames to work on contours and edges but I could probably shape and bend that material is its anything similar to acrylic. Hmm...you got the gears turning now. thanks.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreAce View Post
    Getting some of the material is a good idea. That would allow me to practice the basics and try out different techniques and styles. I would need frames to work on contours and edges but I could probably shape and bend that material is its anything similar to acrylic. Hmm...you got the gears turning now. thanks.
    Yep, maybe do some research on the different materials used by various manufacturers. It would certainly save money to buy a 12" x 24" sheet and cut it into smaller pieces to develop a technique, rather than experimenting on actual frames costing many times as much. You could probably find material cheaper the McM-Carr, but you pay for convenience from them. You could have a sheet in a day or two.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

You could also hit up thrift stores for toy guns,knives,or tools. Ar15 and h&k 91 grips can be found cheap. Remember working on others firearms can lead to needing a ffl

(Lackawanna County)

You can also use ar grips. Who doesn’t have a box of a2 grips laying around

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    You could also hit up thrift stores for toy guns,knives,or tools. Ar15 and h&k 91 grips can be found cheap. Remember working on others firearms can lead to needing a ffl
    Yeah I'm already looking into that. Doesn't seem too bad from what I've gathered so far. I'll probably make another post asking about that. Im sure more than a few ppl in here have an FFL

(York County)

I got all my tools and accessories for the most part and I experimented a bit on random samples and 2 sig 365 frames that I bought from a member for pretty cheap. My borders are a bit messy in some spots but this has been all freehand so far and I haven't exactly been super careful with these. I have already learned quite a few different techniques that work better than others. I have a friend who is going to let me do the grip on his shotgun and one of his pistols. I am still looking for cheap frames and if anyone is looking for a stipple job and is ok with it not being perfect, i'll do it for free. Here are a few pics of my experiments. I'll update once I have some more done if anyone is interested. https://postimg.cc/gallery/4N7DyW1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast