Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any writers here?

I need a press release written up for the new 'people helping people' website I launched this week. Now I can write but I have never written a press release and honestly think I would butcher it if I tried.

So anyone here that is a writer that might be willing to help? I've got a catchy title and some thoughts written up to help.

I've also posted this at the site as a help request BTW.

(Clarion County)

Smile Re: Any writers here?

Is an "R"--rateing acceptable ??

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Any writers here?

My post count implies I write quite a lot But I would not consider myself a "writer"

One option is to just post you ideas, it can be worked on collaboratively, right here.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Chester County)

I may be able to help if you outline what you need written and more details. Length, style, audience, etc.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    One option is to just post you ideas, it can be worked on collaboratively, right here.
    Not a bad idea. I do a lot of writing, blogging, site content etc but a press release might as well be in martian for all I know about it.

Reason I need it is several of people I told about the site have massive mailing lists or newsletters and they have offered to send it out to help out the cause.

OK, here's my first stab at it (writing it in the 3rd person BTW) .. not sure if I am on track or not.

November 18, 2008

18th Century Community Meets 21st Century Technology

A bit of 'old fashioned' community spirit was given a new life this week with the launching of a new web site designed to match people that may need help with chores, home repairs or other such things with people that are more than happy to help. The twist? They aren't looking for anything in return for their help. Creator of the website HelpingKind.org, David Dalton, came up with the idea when a friend on a forum was taken ill and couldn't fix some roof leaks and clogged gutters. “Everyone on the forum wanted to send money to hire someone to do the repairs and of course the friend felt funny about the charity” said Mr. Dalton, “Once I saw what was needed I suggested a few of us take a Sunday afternoon and do the repairs for them. More than enough members volunteered and showed up to handle all the problems. It only took a few hours”.

“Someone asked me about the idea”, Mr. Dalton continued, “I told them that in the 'old days' if someone's barn burned down within days the whole community was there to help build them a new one and they did it for the simple fact they knew it could have well been them”.

With the current trying times many people are facing similar circumstances but Mr. Dalton thinks it doesn't have to be that way. “There are enough good people out there from all walks of life and all backgrounds that are more than happy to help out a 'neighbor' in trying times, you just need to be able to find them”. “Members can trade each other services or just help someone out for free, it's their choice”. Currently the website is just getting started but in less than one day 39 people from 5 states have signed up to offer their help. “It's always painful to get a site like this launched” said Mr. Dalton “It's like the first couple on the dance floor, when people don't see much activity they feel funny about signing up or posting but I am confident when the word gets around there will be plenty of members all reaching out to help each other”

Contact Information:

http://helpingkind.org
    contact@helpingkind.org
    Don't beat me up too bad now

(Clarion County)

I think it's great,I think all you need is a little positive feedback,let me be the first !!

(Greene County)

Looks great, Dc. The first sentence, however, sounds a tad awkward for a press release. Maybe break it into two sentences?

A bit of 'old fashioned' community spirit was given a new life this week with the launching of a new web site, HelpingKind.org. Designed to match people in need together, HelpingKind.org brings together those who may need help with chores, home repairs or other things with people who are more than happy to help.
    The above is just my suggestion. You can't really say the name of the site too often in a press release, now can you? Also, mind your "who"s and "that"s. People are whos, things are thats. Overall though, great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Vig View Post
    Looks great, Dc. The first sentence, however, sounds a tad awkward for a press release. Maybe break it into two sentences?

The above is just my suggestion. You can't really say the name of the site too often in a press release, now can you? Also, mind your "who"s and "that"s. People are whos, things are thats. Overall though, great job!
    This sentence?

A bit of 'old fashioned' community spirit was given a new life this week with the launching of a new web site, HelpingKind.org.

Not sure how to break that in two without it sounding 'halting'

[edit] Never mind I see what you mean now

OK, I didn't like the way the name was put into the second sentence in your example but I came up with this:

November 18, 2008

18th Century Community Meets 21st Century Technology

A bit of 'old fashioned' community spirit was given a new life this week with the launching of a new web site HelpingKind.org. The site is designed to match people that may need help with chores, home repairs or other such things with people that are more than happy to help.

The twist? They aren't looking for anything in return for that help.

Creator of the website HelpingKind.org, David Dalton, came up with the idea when a friend on a forum was taken ill and couldn't fix some roof leaks and clogged gutters. “Everyone on the forum wanted to send money to hire someone to do the repairs and of course the friend felt funny about the charity” Mr. Dalton said, “Once I saw what was needed I suggested a few of us take a Sunday afternoon and do the repairs for them. More than enough members volunteered and showed up to handle all the problems. It only took a few hours”.

“Someone asked me about the idea”, Mr. Dalton continued, “I told them that in the 'old days' if someone's barn burned down within days the whole community was there to help build them a new one and they did it for the simple fact they knew it could have well been them”.

With the current trying times many people are facing similar circumstances but Mr. Dalton thinks it doesn't have to be that way. “There are enough good people out there from all walks of life and all backgrounds that are more than happy to help out a 'neighbor' in trying times, you just need to be able to find them”. “Members can trade each other services or just help someone out for free, it's their choice”. Currently the website is just getting started but in less than one day 39 people from 5 states have signed up to offer their help. “It's always painful to get a site like this launched” said Mr. Dalton “It's like the first couple on the dance floor, when people don't see much activity they feel funny about signing up or posting but I am confident when the word gets around there will be plenty of members all reaching out to help each other”

Contact Information:

http://helpingkind.org
    contact@helpingkind.org
    And I'm not seeing any "that's" in that text (but again I have stared at it so long I probably wouldn't see an elephant in it).
    Last edited by dc dalton; November 18th, 2008 at 07:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast