Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Suprised and rattled. How ready are you?

The other day at work a co-worker and I were taking a walk around the grounds on a quick break. Chatting it up and I'll admit my awareness was not on guard. On our approach back into the building, it was dark out mind you, we were passing by a grouping of cars. Thats when it happened. Another co-worker decided to play a practical joke and jumped out screaming at us from about 10 feet away. My walking co-worker and I were both startled and jumped back yelling explatives. Though we had a good laugh it really rattled me. Had this prank been a real situation with a man holding a bladed weapon or something that could inflict lethal damage, would I have really been able to draw my firearm from under my shirt fast enough to save mine and my co-workers life?

Here's how it played out:

Walking to building, coworker jumps out from behind a car screaming, it took me a full second or two, to realize it was not a threat, simultaneously I had drawn my hand to my side. I'm happy enough with myself that though I was startled and thrown off, atleast I had brought my hand into position to begin unholstering. In those 2 seconds of being shocked It had delayed my reaction time however. As we all know someone 10 feet away can close in on you in just 2 or 3 seconds.

Then comes the issue of pulling from concealment, but I only conceal at work so its not that big of an issue for me. I OC everywhere else. I feel I was comfortable at work so I let my guard down. That was a mistake and I've been making up for it. Whenever I'm out anywhere else I usually have a pretty solid readiness about myself especially in parking lots.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Suprised and rattled. How ready are you?

this happened to me once, at work; the difference is, i did reach for my gun. it was dark out, and i couldn't see exactly who was jumping out from behind my car. i think it cleared my holster about 2" before i realized who it was. that was the last time anyone at my job did that.

I don't think unless you've focused yourself to be "on guard" 24x7 that you're always going to have the reaction you want every time something could potentially happen.

We just moved into a new house and honest to god first night there we heard one hell of a noise...no idea what it was but it sounded like something knocking our trash cans over (dog/raccoon most likely).

So I ended up making my way to an overlooking window in my boxers and AR-15.

Would they have been ready for me?

Bow chicka wowow.

(Lancaster County)

This is why i dont have friends. hahaha
    XD-9 SC ***** XD-40 ***** Yugo SKS ***** DPMS AR-15

(Luzerne County)

This thread reminds me of the discussion over here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...e-chamber.html

Specifically how someinsist carrying "chambered" (IE: laoded ) isn't necessary while others insist it may make a world of difference

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Pike County)

I was working unarmed security a good many years ago at a heavy industrial site when one of the workers deceided to play "lets scare the guard". He waited outside the door of a building I had entered, and was going to spring at me as I exited. I opened the door, he jumped, and I prodeeded to smash the lense, bulb, and reflector of one of the old 5 D cell metal hardware store flashlights on his chin, knocking him on his tail and cutting the point of his chin pretty well.
    As he sat on the ground, I asked him if he had any intentions of doing that again, to which he replied "nope".
    Funny in retrospect, but now days I would probably be sued (this was about 27 years ago).

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    This thread reminds me of the discussion over here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...e-chamber.html

Specifically how someinsist carrying "chambered" (IE: laoded ) isn't necessary while others insist it may make a world of difference
    Nice try...

It's all fun and games until somebody eventually pulls the trigger on a practical joker...

Hasn't happened yet? Hmmm...

Maybe there is 1/2 second of time to access things, even when "shocked and awed" by your buddy.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    I opened the door, he jumped, and I prodeeded to smash the lense, bulb, and reflector of one of the old 5 D cell metal hardware store flashlights on his chin, knocking him on his tail and cutting the point of his chin pretty well.
    Those flashlights can be a strong deterrent indeed... especially when all the batteries are "in the chamber".

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Last time my shooting buddy was by and I was doing draw and fire drills, I decided to test him after setting some new targets up. I suddenly ran up to him with 1 hand raised to show him how fast a guy with a knife can be on you from 7 yards. He wasn't armed and knew it was me anyway, so it wasn't really a prank to be worried about, nor was it intended to be a prank anyway even though I did it without warning. He was not mad at me either, but was remarking over and over how fast someone could overtake you if they wanted to. We also discussed airsoft drills and if either of us could draw and fire air soft pellets at the other before the other would be on you. He was very impressed with all the stuff I have picked up reading and reading and reading.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Being something of a practical joker myself, I am always on the lookout for someone who is going to get their revenge on me. I also know better than to jump out and scare people I do not know, or people I know to be carrying a weapon of some sort! But I am always looking and analyzing to see if where I am is a place where someone could jump me. I would also like to think that years of jumping out and scaring the crap out of my kids (who returned the favor whenever possible) has helped to make them aware of what is going on around them. This doesn't even take into account toughening up their nerves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast