Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default CMp Garand furniture what to do?

I purchased a service grade SA M1 from the CMP this September and was excited when I received it, now I find myself stumped as what to do with it. I have taken it apart and cleaned it and was surprised that it was mostly clear of cosmo. The metal that is... the wood on the other hand, does seem to have cosmo. soaked in (not so much, as it is not tacky to the touch)as well as a number of dents and minor scratches. I have attempted to research what to do with the furniture and it runs the gambit of steaming dents, baking in the oven, using easy off oven cleaner,washing in the dish washer, placing it wrapped in newsprint and a plastic bag on the cars dash on a hot summer day, washing it with hot running water and many more. I must say first, I don't think it is the original stock but I could be mistaken. The rifle dates to a June of '45 production and my limited research seems to say that it should have a different cartouche (crossed cannons I believe) mine has the eagle with stars. And I don't want to remove all dents and I like the color, the wear gives it character. Can I do something less drastic, could I say wipe it down with mineral spirits to clean it a bit, letting it dry thoroughly or will it raise the grain on the wood? I have a portable steamer and would be able to steam out some of the minor dents but wouldn't that also raise the grain? I don't want to sand the wood, What should I do? I have even thought of purchasing a replacement stock set from the CMP and putting the one the rifle is wearing now in storage. I want to be able to go shooting with the rifle and were i to do too much (say pay for a profesional restoration)and got it too nice I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: CMp Garand furniture what to do?

I agree with you whole heartedly that the dings and dents on a great rifle from 1945 make it unique. I say keep it how it is and keep it clean.

(Philadelphia County)

I have heard that putting it in a plastic bag with oil-dri or kitty litter and then doing the dashboard idea should hellp draw out the cosmoline. I remember seeing an article in a magazine on collecting old war rifles I picked up when I bought my Mosin. I'll try and see if I can find it online anywhere.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Snyder County)

I bought an M1 carbine in much the same condition. My plan is to simply disassemble the gun so I only have to work with the wood, wipe everything down with mineral spirits a couple times, then wipe on a few coats of boiled linseed oil with steel wool. Should work fine.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    I have heard that putting it in a plastic bag with oil-dri or kitty litter and then doing the dashboard idea should hellp draw out the cosmoline. I remember seeing an article in a magazine on collecting old war rifles I picked up when I bought my Mosin. I'll try and see if I can find it online anywhere.
    I've read the same thing, this being November if I were to go that route It'd have to be next spring/summer. Thanks for the reply.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    I bought an M1 carbine in much the same condition. My plan is to simply disassemble the gun so I only have to work with the wood, wipe everything down with mineral spirits a couple times, then wipe on a few coats of boiled linseed oil with steel wool. Should work fine.
    I have mineral spirits and BOL my concern is if it would raise the grain and if so what to do. I don't want to sand it, so what do you use, steel wool? And if so what grade? Thanks for the reply.

(Northumberland County)

000 or 0000 steel wool.

My stock was a beater when I got it from CMP. I put it through the dishwasher on the "china" setting and NO heat dry.

It came out completely naked like the day it was born. I put a few coats of BLO on it, rubbed it in with the steel wool and its not a bad looking stock now.

I didnt steam any dents - I like an old rifle with character too. However, the dishwasher got the decades of oil, grease, etc. out of the stcok.

I had no problems refitting the stock, either. I should tell you that I tried this with a Yugo SKS stock, which swelled to hell and back. But, the American Black Walnut stock did not swell. The softer european stocks may swell a bit in places.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Huntingdon County)

Might not hurt to try some careful work with a hairdryer to pull some of the oil out. I have used a hairdryer on a couple of my Mosin Nagants and the oils comes right up and wipes off.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    000 or 0000 steel wool.

My stock was a beater when I got it from CMP. I put it through the dishwasher on the "china" setting and NO heat dry.

It came out completely naked like the day it was born. I put a few coats of BLO on it, rubbed it in with the steel wool and its not a bad looking stock now.

I didnt steam any dents - I like an old rifle with character too. However, the dishwasher got the decades of oil, grease, etc. out of the stcok.

I had no problems refitting the stock, either. I should tell you that I tried this with a Yugo SKS stock, which swelled to hell and back. But, the American Black Walnut stock did not swell. The softer european stocks may swell a bit in places.
    I appreciate the reply, however, I am sure my wife would shoot me in the posterior were I to put the stock in the dishwasher. Thanks for the reply.

(Blair County)

I have done the following on both walnut and birch:

With gloves and a rag wash the entire stock with Formby's Conditioning Furniture Refinisher.

Wash Again.

With your bare hands, apply and work in a coat of boiled lindseed oil.

Repeat as needed.

Produces a finish just like a new rifle.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast