Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: You think you're safe in the suburbs?

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
    8 years ago when I lived in Monroe county in a very rural area and a friend of mine had a home invasion by a meth-head neighbor on a Sunday afternoon

killed him and his stepson and dog. his wife barely made it out the back door.

my daughter in laws mom lived a few doors down.

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-20...319-story.html

it can happen anywhere
    It can happen anywhere. It's once a decade in the burbs, in the city, it's called a slow tuesday.

But I still carry a gun everywhere for personal reasons.

(Allegheny County)

I'm safe in the suburbs because that's just a decoy....I'm actually in the city!! Suckers!!!!!

(Bucks County)

I live in a nice suburb. We get all excited here about celebrating Christmas Tree lightings. But, last week, SWAT and dozens of local cops surrounded a house two blocks from me in an adjacent development as they had a tip that murderer charged with first-degree was in the home. They were correct, and after a couple of hours, he came out and surrendered peacefully.

The home was recently sold to someone from Philly. He was from Norristown and Philly and committed the murder in Philly. I don't know if he was related to the new owner, was a guest, or was there because he paid for the place. I'm sure the cops got a tip, as they were more than ready for him. But it could have also gone sideways.

I know you can never be sure who is living or visiting next door. Twenty years ago, I found out the nice family with the really cute girls living next door had a son who was robbing houses and dealing drugs. And that is when I installed security systems, lights, video, and guns.

It can happen anywhere.

(Allegheny County)

People have no idea what goes on even in their own back yards. (well, maybe if you have cameras)

So much stuff happens that nobody ever knows about unless it makes the news.

Listening to a police scanner was a real eye opener.

Our neighbors were speechless when Mrs EM told them about the shooting suspects that she spotted hiding behind a shed next door.
    When she called 911 to report them, they were like "How do you know they're hiding from the police?" She said, "Because I'm listening to the pursuit on the scanner and they match the description exactly."

They were gone by the time police arrived, but just think how many times things like that happen and nobody ever knows.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    And that is when I installed security systems, lights, video, and guns.
    You can never install to many guns.

(Chester County)

DelCo stopped being the "suburbs" 50 years ago.

I feel very safe where I live... it's why I settled my family here 26 years ago.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    DelCo stopped being the "suburbs" 50 years ago.

I feel very safe where I live... it's why I settled my family here 26 years ago.

There he goes again with his uppity Chesco arrogance...stopping shitting on your neighbors in Delco! Ever heard of Coatesville? Honey Brook? Caln? Those shitholes are in your backyard.
    Yes, most of the first ring suburbs in Delco which border Philly have gone to shit over the years. Some, you can't even tell if you're still in the suburbs versus the city (e.g., most of Upper Darby, Millbourne, Yeadon, East Lansdowne, Clifton Heights.)

But you have the next ring which is suburbia proper and ok (e.g., Prospect Park, Norwood, Ridley, Havertown, Springfield, Morton). Swarthmore, Wallingford, Media, Middletown areas in central Delco and very much leafy suburbia. You have the "Main Line" area to the north, (e.g., Radnor, Haverford, parts of Bryn Mawr), then western Delco which is basically the same as Chesco, (e.g, Garnet valley, Glen mills, Chadds Ford).

Now of course, the elephant in the room for Delco is the City of Chester. Like most around here, I mentally wall Chester off like it's its own separate entity. I don't really even think of it as part of Delco. It's urban, not suburban. Not even close to the same vibe.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

The car is a sign of freedom, even for the bad guys.
    About 8 years ago, some guy from Hazleton killed a guy and "dumped" his body in my old development in rural Penn Forest Township Carbon County, old my old running route. He even took the time to set up a tent off the road and make it look like a suicide.

(Chester County)

It's been 5 years or more since I looked at some website that broke down crimes by county and Chester Co. was an island of relative safety when compared to Del Co., Lancaster Co., New Castle Co. DE, and Cecil Co. MD.

Just last year, I was perusing the interwebz and came upon a list of the top most dangerous cities in the U.S. w/ a population above 10,000, to my surprise, Elkton, MD was number 31 on that list. You just can't tell where the dangerous idiots reside outside of the urban shitholes.

(Bucks County)

Suburbs are racist.
    There, I said it.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast