Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Question S&w Revolver markings

Has anyone noticed the new markings on new smith and Wesson revolvers? The model 60 with 3 inch barrel I bought 6-7 years ago has very nice roll marks. All marking are nice crisp and clean looking.

I recently saw another model 60 with 3 inch barrel at my LGS. The marking on that gun are disgusting 🤮. Looks like they laser engraved everything now. The laser turned the gun like a brown black gold color. I wanted a 2nd one for my wife but theres no way I am spending 700+ on a gun that looks like $&@?. I didn’t feel comfortable taking picture at the store. I’ll Google it later and see if I can find a photo.

Would you guys pay that much for a gun with that problem? I understand it has no bearing on the reliability of the firearm. If they let a gun leave looking like that on the outside then I wonder what they get through on the inside.

(Berks County)

Default Re: S&w Revolver markings

Quote Originally Posted by Nepa1776 View Post
    Has anyone noticed the new markings on new smith and Wesson revolvers? The model 60 with 3 inch barrel I bought 6-7 years ago has very nice roll marks. All marking are nice crisp and clean looking.

I recently saw another model 60 with 3 inch barrel at my LGS. The marking on that gun are disgusting ��. Looks like they laser engraved everything now. The laser turned the gun like a brown black gold color. I wanted a 2nd one for my wife but theres no way I am spending 700+ on a gun that looks like $&@?. I didn*t feel comfortable taking picture at the store. I*ll Google it later and see if I can find a photo.

Would you guys pay that much for a gun with that problem? I understand it has no bearing on the reliability of the firearm. If they let a gun leave looking like that on the outside then I wonder what they get through on the inside.
    See ScotsGuards, he'll hook you up with something nice.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Default Re: S&w Revolver markings

S&W has flirted with several marking methods over the years - even trying a dot-matrix punch for serial numbers, for a short while. I thought they had stopped using laser etching some time ago. Was this presented to you as a new gun, NOS or was it used? The last new S&W I bought, a 929 several years ago, uses impressed roll-marks, just like in days of old. Unless it was done very poorly, I don't think I'd let how the marks are done prevent me from purchasing a gun I wanted - but to each his own.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member