Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Default Re: House generator advise

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Every time I've ever considered a generator, I think to myself, "Is it worth $1,000 to $10,000 to me to have power for the 2-12 hours the power is likely to be out?"
    Not really.
    I've had the same thought, the longest our power has been out was about 4 hours and most times it goes out it's only a couple of minutes which is also rare. When this latest cold spell hit we got super lucky, our house had power but every house up the street lost power and it took 42 hours to get it restored in 0 degree weather.

That has made me rethink getting a portable one just to have if we end up in a similar situation. What would be the easiest way to figure out how big a generator to go with?

Duplicate.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    I've had the same thought, the longest our power has been out was about 4 hours and most times it goes out it's only a couple of minutes which is also rare. When this latest cold spell hit we got super lucky, our house had power but every house up the street lost power and it took 42 hours to get it restored in 0 degree weather.

That has made me rethink getting a portable one just to have if we end up in a similar situation. What would be the easiest way to figure out how big a generator to go with?

You can start here https://www.championpowerequipment.c...ator-selector/ . If it's for the house, choose Home Essentials and you can check what you want to power and it will tell you how many watts you need.

For reference, I have this model:

IMG_9091.JPG

I have a 3 bedroom colonial and it powers everything I need except the heat pump but I can run 3 of theos ceramic heaters to keep certain areas warm. By shutting things off that I'm not using at the time, I can run the hot water heater for awhile, a couple burners on my electric range, microwave, etc. We stay comfortable. Get at least the dual fuel - gasoline/propane.

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    You can start here https://www.championpowerequipment.c...ator-selector/ . If it's for the house, choose Home Essentials and you can check what you want to power and it will tell you how many watts you need.

For reference, I have this model:

IMG_9091.JPG

I have a 3 bedroom colonial and it powers everything I need except the heat pump but I can run 3 of theos ceramic heaters to keep certain areas warm. By shutting things off that I'm not using at the time, I can run the hot water heater for awhile, a couple burners on my electric range, microwave, etc. We stay comfortable. Get at least the dual fuel - gasoline/propane.
    Thanks, the calculator I found didn't give the option to select multiple items of the same thing. I wonder if a freezer uses the same amount of electricity as a fridge does? We have two full size fridges, two separate freezers and two mini fridges.

(Berks County)

Thanks, the calculator I found didn't give the option to select multiple items of the same thing. I wonder if a freezer uses the same amount of electricity as a fridge does? We have two full size fridges, two separate freezers and two mini fridges.
    You, alone, are the cause of our climate meltdown. Who needs all those electricity guzzling units? Unplug 3/4 of them already.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

There is a drop down box to select more than 1 item. Once you select an item, e.g. refridgerator, a box appears on the right allowing you to increase the number. I would treat refridgerators and freezers the same.

Select.jpg

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You, alone, are the cause of our climate meltdown. Who needs all those electricity guzzling units? Unplug 3/4 of them already.
    Mini fridges often use about what a full-size fridge uses. I got a new garage fridge (no freezer) and it estimates it uses like $35/yr in electricity. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

(Northumberland County)

Well the HF Predator 9000 got its first real run tonight and performed well. Power was off while we were out to eat, transformer blew. Had it running about 45 minutes total until it came back. Ran my geothermal and rest of the house, less the hot water heater and a few other things. House hadn't lost much temperature, else could've been a different story/results TBD....but I cant ask for more than that.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Well the HF Predator 9000 got its first real run tonight and performed well. Power was off while we were out to eat, transformer blew. Had it running about 45 minutes total until it came back. Ran my geothermal and rest of the house, less the hot water heater and a few other things. House hadn't lost much temperature, else could've been a different story/results TBD....but I cant ask for more than that.
    Good to hear! I was always suspect of anything from HF with a gas engine on it.

(Washington County)

I bought this light tower at auction. Runs entire house, but it's not automatic and a little DIY was needed to connect to house.

https://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/5290311

I have a trickle charger on battery and oil pan heater in the winter time, so it always starts in really cold weather. Nice thing is I can haul it to the range for night shoots when needed. Definitely not for everyone, but works great for me.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast